Skip links and keyboard navigation

Your rights as a couple

Couples who are married, in a civil partnership (formerly called a registered relationship) or living together (in a de facto relationship) have certain rights.

To find out what you need to know on the practical and legal issues surrounding getting married,  registering your relationship as a civil partnership and living together, talk to a family lawyer.


We can help you with information about:

You may also refer to the Happily Ever Before and After (PDF, 163KB) pamphlet you are given before your wedding.

Overseas same-sex marriage

From 9 December 2017, the Marriage Act 1961 recognises existing and future marriages solemnised outside Australia where the marriage is registered and valid under the law of that country.

Visit the federal Attorney-General’s Department for more information.

Civil partnership

We can also help you with information about:

You may also refer to the legal effects of entering a civil partnership.

Living together—de facto relationships

To find out what you need to know about living together (in a de facto relationship):

Marriage equality

The Parliament of Australia has approved changes to the Marriage Act 1961, allowing couples to marry regardless of their sex.

Learn more about marriage equality

Last updated
5 March 2018
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.