Getting married

To get married in Queensland, at least 1 partner must be 18 or older. The first step is to decide where you want to be married:

This is what you will need to do:

After your wedding ceremony your registered celebrant is responsible for registering your marriage on your behalf.

If you don't complete the notice of intended marriage application form with your registered celebrant, you both must sign the application form in the presence of a qualified witness. You must still lodge it with your registered celebrant and show them your identity and eligibility documents.

Have your ceremony with us

Getting married with us

You can request an interview appointment with us online. Then you can take the time you need to organise the rest.

Find out about having your:

What the law says

  • Marriage is the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.
  • One partner can be 16 or 17 years old but must have parent or guardian permission and a Magistrates Court order.
  • You can't get married if you are:
    • still married to another person, including legal marriages overseas (talk to a family lawyer if you are unsure)
    • in a relationship with a parent, descendant, sibling or half sibling.
  • A registered celebrant must carry out your wedding ceremony.
  • You both must sign the notice of intended marriage application form in the presence of a qualified witness.
  • All your documents must be in English—or you must supply accredited translations if they are in another language.
  • There must be 2 witnesses over the age of 18 at your wedding ceremony.
  • An interpreter must be at your wedding ceremony if one or both of you can't understand or speak English.

Learn more about the Marriage Act 1961.

Identity and eligibility documents

Your registered celebrant must see:

  • evidence of the date and place of birth (such as a birth certificate) for both of you, or a current overseas passport if you were born outside Australia
  • current photo ID


  • evidence of any previous divorce or death of any spouse, if applicable—such as original divorce or death certificate for previous spouse.

No record of marriage in Queensland

If you plan to get married overseas, check with the consulate of the country before you go to see if you need a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland.

Learn how to apply for a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland.

Contact us

Online: our general enquiry form.

By phone: local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.

To book a wedding at the Brisbane registry request an interview appointment.