National Day of Mourning for Her Majesty The Queen
For 2022 only, a public holiday is appointed for 22 September 2022. Normal public holiday trading hours apply for this day. An amendment to the Holidays Act 1983 was passed by Parliament on 15 September 2022.
New Year's Day
Friday 1 January
Saturday 1 January and Monday 3 January2
Sunday 1 January and Monday 2 January2
Tuesday 26 January
Wednesday 26 January
Thursday 26 January
Friday 2 April
Friday 15 April
Friday 7 April
The day after Good Friday
Saturday 3 April
Saturday 16 April
Saturday 8 April
Sunday 4 April
Sunday 17 April
Sunday 9 April
Monday 5 April
Monday 18 April
Monday 10 April
Monday 26 April
Monday 25 April
Tuesday 25 April
Monday 3 May3
Monday 2 May3
Monday 1 May3
Royal Queensland Show (Brisbane area only)1
The day previously appointed has been repealed
Wednesday 10 August
Wednesday 16 August
2021 People's long weekend6 only in the following areas:
Brisbane; Moreton Bay and Scenic Rim
Friday 29 October
|National Day of Mourning for Her Majesty The Queen||-||Thursday 22 September7||-|
Monday 4 October3
Monday 3 October3
Monday 2 October3
Christmas Eve5 (24 December) 6pm–Midnight
Friday 24 December
Saturday 24 December
Sunday 24 December
Saturday 25 December and Monday 27 December2
Sunday 25 December and Tuesday 27 December2
Monday 25 December
Sunday 26 December and Tuesday 28 December2
Monday 26 December
Tuesday 26 December
- The Royal National Agricultural (RNA) Show Day (Brisbane only) is held on the Wednesday during the RNA Show period. The RNA Show commences on the first Friday in August, unless the first Friday is prior to 5 August, then it commences on the second Friday of August.
- From Christmas Day 2011, the Holidays Act 1983 provides for an extra public holiday to be added when Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day falls on a weekend.
- Labour Day public holiday is to be observed on the first Monday in May and the Birthday of the Sovereign (Queen’s Birthday) public holiday is to be observed on the first Monday in October. These arrangements have been in place since 2016 following amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 (passed by Parliament on 13 October 2015).
- Easter Sunday is appointed as a public holiday. These arrangements have been in place since 2017 following amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 (passed by Parliament on 1 December 2016).
- From 2019, the Holidays Act 1983 provides for a part-day public holiday from 6pm to midnight on Christmas Eve (24 December).
- For 2021 only, a public holiday will be appointed in place of previously appointed show public holidays for Brisbane City, Moreton Bay Region and Scenic Rim local government areas.
- National Day of Mourning for Her Majesty The Queen, for 2022 only, a public holiday is appointed following amendment to the Holidays Act 1983 (passed by Parliament on 15 September 2022).
Public holiday dates for previous years
- Public holiday dates for 2020
- Public holiday dates for 2019
- Public holiday dates for 2018
- Public holiday dates for 2017
- Public holiday dates for 2016
- Public holiday dates for 2015
- Public holiday dates for 2014
- Public holiday dates for 2013
- Public holiday dates for 2012