Registering a civil partnership without a ceremony
To minimise exposure to COVID-19 for our customers and staff, we will not be accepting these applications in person.
If you have an application to submit, please send it to us by post.
Couples can register their relationship as a civil partnership without having a declaration ceremony. You need to be 18 or older, and at least 1 partner must live in Queensland.
A civil partnership is not a marriage and therefore has different rules applied.
We can't register your civil partnership until 10 days after we get your application form—this is known as the cooling-off period.
We do not automatically send a certificate when a civil partnership is registered, you need to apply and pay for one. Likewise, we do not notify you that it has been registered after the cooling-off period.
If the registrar will not register your civil partnership, you can apply for Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to review the decision.
Rules for registering a civil partnership
Any eligible couple, regardless of their sex, can enter into a civil partnership.
To be eligible:
- both partners must
- be over 18
- provide proof of ID
- not be married or already in a civil partnership
- it can't be a prohibited relationship
- at least 1 partner must live in Queensland
- you must provide evidence that you are no longer married (such as a divorce or death certificate) if you have ever been married
- all your documents must be in English, or supplied with accredited translations as well as the original document
- you and your partner must read the legal effects of a civil partnership.
How to apply
To apply to register your civil partnership:
- Read and understand the rules above.
- Complete, download and print the register a civil partnership application form.
- Visit a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person with your partner (if you are posting your application). Take your proof of ID and supporting documents to have them certified and to complete the statutory declaration section of the application form.
- Attach your certified proof of ID, eligibility documents and evidence of home address.
- Submit your application form and supporting documents to us by post.
There is no fee to register your civil partnership unless you choose to apply for a certificate at the same time.
Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188
CITY EAST QLD 4002
Translating and interpreting services
For documents that are not in English, you must provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
|Register a civil partnership||Free|
Commemorative civil partnership certificate package (1 standard civil partnership certificate and standard postage included)
Standard civil partnership certificate (standard postage included)
Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.
You can choose to have your certificate sent by express or registered post for a fee.
|International registered mail||$17.70|
Online: Our general enquiry form.
By phone: Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)
(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.