Registering a civil partnership without a ceremony

Couples can register their relationship as a civil partnership without having a declaration ceremony. You need to be 18 or older, and at least 1 partner must live in Queensland.

A civil partnership is not a marriage and therefore has different rules.

We can't register your civil partnership until 10 full days after we get your compliant application—this is known as the cooling-off period.

We do not automatically send a certificate when a civil partnership is registered, you need to apply and pay for one. Likewise, we do not notify you that it has been registered after the cooling-off period.

If the registrar will not register your civil partnership, you can apply for Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) to review the decision.

Register a civil partnership without a declaration ceremony

Rules for registering a civil partnership

Any eligible couple can enter a civil partnership.

To be eligible:

When posting your application, you must have your supporting documents certified by a qualified Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.

How to apply

To apply to register your civil partnership, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules above.
  2. Complete, download and print the register a civil partnership application form.
  3. Visit a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person with your partner (if you are posting your application). Take your proof of ID and supporting documents to have them certified and to complete the statutory declaration section of the application form.
  4. Attach your certified proof of IDeligibility documents and evidence of home address.
  5. Submit your application form and supporting documents to us by post.

There is no fee to register your civil partnership unless you choose to apply for a certificate at the same time.

By post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents to and payment (if applying for a certificate):

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

Translating and interpreting services

For documents that are not in English, you must provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

Application fees

Register a civil partnership Free

Commemorative civil partnership certificate package (1 official civil partnership certificate and standard postage included)


Official civil partnership certificate (standard postage included)


Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can choose to have your certificate sent by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $7.35
Registered post $5.40
International registered mail $17.70

We value identity protection, so we recommend that you choose registered post so the delivery of your certificate can be tracked and delivered to you more securely within Australia.

Register a civil partnership without a declaration ceremony

Contact us

Online: Our general enquiry form.

By phone: Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.