Renewing your licence—online
We will send you a licence renewal notice about 6 weeks before your licence expires. If you have signed up for e-notices you will receive your renewal notice by email instead of postal mail.
Reasons you may not be able to renew online
You will not be able to renew your licence online if:
- you no longer live in Queensland
- your licence is currently suspended or cancelled or you are currently disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver licence in Australia or another country
- your first learner licence was issued more than 5 years ago and you are renewing a learner licence
- you need a medical certificate to drive and do not have a current certificate lodged with us
- you need to change any details on your licence, such as your name or you need a condition to be removed or added to your licence (excluding S condition)
- your licence has expired by more than 5 years (Note: you must not drive with an expired driver licence)
- it is more than 6 weeks until your licence expires
- you have an expired digital photo (photos are valid for 11 years)—see security features of Queensland driver licences
- you choose a licence term that expires after the expiry date of your digital photo.
When you renew a provisional or open licence online, the maximum period you can request depends on when your digital photo was last taken. If you wish to renew for a longer period (maximum 5 years), you will need to attend a transport and motoring customer service centre to have your digital photo and signature captured.
Find out other ways to renew your licence if you are unable to use this online service.
How to renew your licence online
To renew your licence online, you will need:
- your driver licence number
- to confirm your identity—these details may vary depending on the service you select and if you have applied an additional level of security
- your credit card details for the licence renewal fee—the fee varies depending on how long you want to renew your licence. A credit card surcharge applies to all credit card payments. The credit card surcharge applies to all products paid using our online services and is unavoidable online.
A new licence will be sent to you when you have successfully completed your licence renewal online. If you have signed up for e-reminders we will email you when your licence is posted.
You should receive your licence within 10 working days. Contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 if you have not received it.