How to confirm your identity for transport and motoring online services
You may be required to supply some personal details to confirm your identity when using a Transport and Main Roads online service.
These details may vary depending on the service you select and if you have applied an additional level of security. If the service you're using requires you to confirm your identity, you will need to provide the following details.
For an individual, you will need your:
- customer reference number
- first name
- last name
- date of birth.
For an organisation, you will need:
- your customer reference number
- the organisation's ACN
- the company's name (as recorded on your Transport and Main Roads documents).
If you are an individual you will need to provide extra details when using a service containing your personal information, including when you're:
- logging into my account
- renewing your driver licence
- replacing your driver licence
- sitting a motorcycle online knowledge test
- checking your demerit points
- applying for your traffic history
- enrolling in direct debit
- changing direct debit details.
Why would I apply an additional level of security?
You can apply an additional level of security so the extra details (listed previously) are always required to login to selected Transport and Main Roads online services that require your confirmation of identity.
You may choose to do this so it's more difficult for someone else to access online services, without your authorisation, to view, change or request changes to your information held by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
If you apply an additional level of security, the extra details would be required when you use services such as:
- change your address
- renew your registration (including changes)
- make your demerit point enforcement choice.
You must provide the extra details to apply or cancel an additional level of security.
An online access code is a code that can be used to log into certain online services. You can receive an online access code if you have your email address recorded with Transport and Main Roads.
You should contact us on 13 23 80 if you do not have your email address recorded, or your email address has changed.
See online access code issues if you are having trouble receiving or using an online access code.
You will need to answer 2 of the following 5 questions if using an online service containing your personal details.
- Licence, authority, or adult proof of age card number—you will need to enter the card number from your driver licence, marine licence indicator, industry authority or adult proof of age card.
- Driver licence renewal notice—you will need to enter the document number printed on your driver licence renewal.
- Registration certificate—you will need to enter the receipt number and receipt date printed on your registration certificate
vehicle registration notice—you will need to enter the document number printed on your vehicle registration notice.
- Infringement notice—you will need to enter the infringement number and the issuing officer number printed on your infringement notice
camera detected offence notice—you will need to enter the notice number and infringement date printed on your camera detected offence notice.
- Demerit points notification notice—you will need to enter the notice number printed on your demerit points notification notice.
Your driver licence renewal notice may not have a document number printed on it if:
- you are not able to renew online
- your licence is a learner licence
- we do not have your photo on record—only digital photos are recorded
- you are required to have a new photo taken—digital photos expire after 10 years
- your licence was suspended at the time the notice was printed—see date of issue on the notice
- you are signed up for e-notices and your document was emailed to you.