End a civil partnership

Civil partnerships end if either partner passes away or gets married, or if either partner applies to us to end the relationship.

If you apply to end your Queensland civil partnership, it will not be registered until 90 days after we get your application. This is known as the termination period.

You or your partner (or both of you) can choose to withdraw your application during these 90 days.

When you end a partnership, we make a note on the civil partnership record. If you bring your civil partnership certificate in, we will replace it with a new one that shows the end of civil partnership note on the back.

Marriages can't be ended using this application form. See the Federal Circuit Court of Australia for information about ending a marriage.

Fill in the end a civil partnership application form

Rules for ending a civil partnership

To end a civil partnership (not a marriage), you must:

If only one partner is signing the application form, you must also give a copy of it to the other registered partner. You can do this by:

  • personally giving them the application form
  • putting the application form down in front of them and explaining what it is
  • organising another person to give them the application form
  • sending the application form by registered post to their last known home address
  • seeking the registrar's approval to serve the document by another method.

After you have done this, you need to complete the statutory declaration for a single applicant, stating:

  • you have given the application form to your partner
  • how you gave it to them
  • the registered post number (if you sent it by registered post).

How to apply

To end your civil partnership (not a marriage), you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules above.
  2. Complete, download and print the end a civil partnership application form.
  3. Visit a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person to complete the statutory declaration section of your application form and certify your supporting documents.
  4. Attach your certified proof of ID documents.
  5. Pay the fee (non-refundable).
  6. Submit your application form and supporting documents to us by post or in person.

By post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents and payment to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit either:

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with cash
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • by credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order.

Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

We do not accept personal cheques.

Application fees

End a civil partnership (non-refundable) $38.95
Updated standard civil partnership certificate (when original standard certificate is returned) Free
Replacement standard civil partnership certificate with end of partnership note (standard postage included) $49.50

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $6.70
Registered mail $5.20
International registered post $16.10

Fill in the end a civil partnership application form

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3022 0001 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.