Withdraw your application to register a civil partnership
When you apply to register your civil partnership (without a ceremony) in Queensland, we can't register your partnership until 10 days after we get your application form. This is known as the cooling-off period.
During these 10 days, you or your partner can choose to withdraw your application.
If the cooling-off period has passed, your partnership is registered. In this case, you will need to apply to end your civil partnership.
Rules for withdrawing your application
To withdraw an application to register a civil partnership, you must:
- be one of the partners on the application
- have an adult (at least 18 or older) willing to witness your signature
- not already be in a registered civil partnership.
This application form may be submitted by one or both of the proposed partners who have applied to register a civil partnership.
How to apply
To apply to withdraw your application to register a civil partnership, you need to:
- Read and understand the rules above.
- Complete, download and print the withdraw an application for a civil partnership form.
- Have another adult witness your signature on the declaration section of the application form.
- Have copies of your proof of ID certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
- Attach your certified proof of ID.
- Submit your application form and certified documents to us by post or in person.
There is no fee to withdraw your application to register a civil partnership.
Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:
Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188
CITY EAST QLD 4002
- the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane
- one of our agents at a Queensland Magistrates Court or Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office (excludes the Brisbane Magistrates Court)
Bring your completed application form with your original proof of ID and other supporting documents (if required).
Withdraw an application to register a civil partnership
Online: Our general enquiry form.
By phone: Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.