Entering a civil partnership with a ceremony

Couples can enter a civil partnership in Queensland if they are 18 or older and at least 1 partner lives in Queensland.

You will need to decide how you would like to enter your civil partnership. You can do this:

Read about the legal effects of a civil partnership before making your decision.

We do not automatically send a certificate when a civil partnership is registered, you need to apply and pay for one. If you apply for a certificate before your partnership is registered, we will post the certificate as soon as the registration has been processed.

Learn how to apply for a civil partnership certificate.

Declaration ceremony

Complete your notice of intention to enter into a civil partnership application form with your registered civil partnership notary. If you are not having your declaration ceremony at the Brisbane registry, send us a copy after your notary completes their declaration on the application form.

Your notice must be received by your civil partnership notary, at least 10 full days before your declaration ceremony, and no earlier than 12 months before. For example, if your notary receives your application on 1 February, the declaration ceremony may be held on 12 February or in the 12 months after.

Your civil partnership notary will discuss with you what proof of ID and eligibility documents you need to show them. After your ceremony your notary is responsible for registering your civil partnership on your behalf.

If you can't complete the notice of intention to enter into a civil partnership application form with your civil partnership notary, both partners must sign the application form in the presence of a qualified witness. You must still give it to your notary, send a copy to us and show your notary proof of ID and eligibility documents.

Translating and interpreting service

If you can’t speak and understand English, you need to bring someone along to your interview who can translate for you.

Documents that are not in English must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) to seek assistance.

Fill in the notice to register a civil partnership with a ceremony

Register your civil partnership without a declaration ceremony

By law, your civil partnership will not be registered earlier than 10 full days after you submit your compliant application. This is called the cooling-off period and can't be shortened.

Complete and submit your register a civil partnership application form with us, along with your proof of ID and eligibility documents.

Contact us

Online: our general enquiry form.

By phone: local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.