Registering a marriage

If you are getting married in Queensland, your authorised marriage celebrant has to register your marriage on your behalf. By law, they have 14 days to submit your marriage to be registered.

If you get married in another state or country, your marriage needs to be registered with the interstate or overseas registry.

The certificate of marriage from your authorised marriage celebrant on the day of your ceremony is not an official marriage certificate, so it can't be used to prove your marriage to government agencies or banks. This certificate is only a memento given to the couple on the day of their ceremony.

You do not automatically receive an official marriage certificate after getting married. You need to apply and pay a fee.

Learn how to apply for a standard marriage certificate.

Processing your marriage registration can take up to 5 business days. If you apply for the certificate before your marriage is registered, we will post the certificate when it is ready.

Overseas marriages

If you get married overseas, it may be seen as a legal marriage in Australia—as long as you have a marriage certificate from the registering authority in the country you were married in.

Your overseas marriage can't be registered in Australia if it was conducted according to laws of another country and is registered overseas.

Learn about changing your name after an overseas marriage.