Wedding at the Brisbane registry
To minimise exposure to COVID-19 for our ceremony staff, couples and guests, you must:
- not attend our office for an interview appointment or ceremony if you have any symptoms associated with COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, sneezing, runny nose or loss of sense of smell)
- maintain social distancing of 1.5m in the waiting areas and ceremony rooms
- practice good hygiene by using sanitising stations on arrival to our venue and as required.
If you are attending a ceremony, you must register your contact details for contact tracing purposes using the device provided or the QR Code displayed in waiting areas.
Located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD, our modern, architecturally designed ceremony rooms have panoramic mountain-to-bay views.
You can get married in affordable style in one of our beautiful ceremony rooms.
The current public health direction from the Queensland Chief Health Officer is that we:
- must ensure social distancing is observed to the extent possible
- cannot accommodate more than 1 person per 2m2.
The size of our venue means we can only allow ceremonies with up to 40 people, including the couple and celebrant.
This 40-person maximum includes:
- 2 witnesses
- children and babies
- interpreter, if required
- photographer/videographer, if you have one.
The couple must ensure that the 40-person maximum is not exceeded. If more than the allowable maximum arrive, the couple will be asked to reduce their guest numbers before the ceremony can proceed.
To book your ceremony at the Brisbane registry, request an interview appointment.
Our ceremony venue offers:
- generous waiting areas for your guests
- access to private dressing room before your ceremony
- access to amazing photo opportunities
- integrated sound system
- live streaming of your ceremony on request.
Look at our gallery to imagine your ceremony with us.
A registry wedding can also be held at select courthouses throughout Queensland. Contact a magistrates court directly to see if they have this service available.
Planning your ceremony
Before you can book a ceremony date, we need to discuss your plans. If you can't speak and understand English, you need to bring someone who can translate for you.
At your first meeting with us, our experienced celebrant team will help you to:
- lodge your completed notice of intended marriage application form
- book a date and time for your wedding—before you arrive for your interview, you should both agree on at least 3 preferred ceremony dates
- show your original proof of ID and eligibility documents
- apply for a marriage certificate
- pay the fee
- tell us if you have any special requirements (e.g. wheelchair access).
Pets are not allowed on our premises, but we want people with disability to be able to safely participate in your special occasion at our venue. This means qualified assistance animals are welcome to accompany you or a guest at your wedding. Please let us know in advance so we can be prepared to welcome any assistance animal(s) celebrating with you.
Request an interview appointment
This online service allows you to choose the date and time of your interview.
You will be asked to give your name, email and mobile number to book your interview, and you will get an email to confirm your interview appointment. The email will also allow you to easily reschedule or cancel your booking, if necessary.
The Department of Justice and Attorney-General, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages is collecting your personal information for the purpose of facilitating your interview booking online and for contacting you in relation to your booking. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose unless authorised or required by law. Your personal information will be handled in accordance with the provisions of the Information Privacy Act 2009.
Other booking options
You can also book your interview appointment with us by:
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.
- visiting the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane.
We conduct wedding ceremonies:
- Monday–Saturday, 9.30am–4.00pm
Cost of a ceremony at the registry
A registry wedding in Brisbane is an affordable way to get married.
The cost for a registry ceremony includes:
- the ceremony
- a celebrant
- the ceremony room
- a ceremonial marriage certificate.
To secure a time and date for your ceremony, you will need to pay the applicable fee.
A registry ceremony costs:
- $356.30 (Monday–Friday, 9.30am–4.00pm)
- $463.20 (Saturday, 9.30am–4.00pm)
You can change your wedding date once for free if you contact us about the change at least 2 weeks before the ceremony date you have booked. If you change your ceremony date more than once, you will need to pay an additional booking fee.
You can pay:
- at the customer service centre
- by EFTPOS or credit card
- with a business account cheque
- with a bank cheque
- with a money order
- through the mail
- by credit card
- with a business account cheque
- with a bank cheque
- with a money order.
We will accept cash at the customer service centre, but prefer contactless payments such as EFTPOS or credit card.
Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.
We do not accept personal cheques.
Documents you will need
When you come to your interview to book your registry wedding, you will need to bring your original proof of ID and supporting documents showing evidence of:
- the date and place of birth (original birth certificate) and current photo ID of each partner, or a current passport
- divorce or death of any former spouse (i.e. divorce document or death certificate), if applicable.
You need to show us your original documents, as we can't accept certified photocopies.
Translated identity documents
For original documents that are not in English, you must also provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).