Wedding at the Brisbane registry
Located in the heart of the Brisbane CBD, our 2 modern, architecturally designed ceremony rooms have panoramic mountain-to-bay views.
You can get married in affordable style in one of our ceremony rooms which seats up to 50 guests.
If you live outside Brisbane and want a registry wedding, contact a Queensland magistrates court (except the Brisbane Magistrates Court) to see if they have this service available.
To book your special occasion at the Brisbane registry, request an interview appointment.
Our ceremony rooms offer:
- generous waiting areas for your guests
- access to amazing photo locations
- acoustic design to maximise atmosphere and enjoyment
- integrated sound system
- access to private dressing room before your ceremony.
Look at our gallery to imagine your ceremony at the new registry.
Planning your ceremony
Before you can book a ceremony date, we need to discuss your plans.
At your first meeting with us, a wedding registry coordinator will get you to:
- lodge your completed notice of intended marriage application form
- book a date and time for your wedding—before your interview, it's important to both agree on at least 3 preferred ceremony dates
- show your original proof of ID and eligibility documents
- apply for a marriage certificate
- pay the fee
- tell us if you have any special requirements (e.g. wheelchair access).
You can only view our ceremony rooms at the time of your interview if there are no ceremonies being held at the time.
Request an interview appointment
This online service allows you to choose the date and time of your interview.
You will be asked to give your name, email and mobile number to book your interview, and you will get an email to confirm your interview appointment. The email will also allow you to easily reschedule or cancel your booking, if necessary.
Please note: bookings require at least 2 business days' notice.
The Department of Justice and Attorney-General, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages is collecting your personal information for the purpose of facilitating your interview booking online and for contacting you in relation to your booking. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose unless authorised or required by law. Your personal information will be handled in accordance with the provisions of the Information Privacy Act 2009.
Other booking options
You can also book your interview appointment with us by:
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.
- visiting the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane.
We conduct wedding ceremonies half-hourly starting at these times:
- Monday–Saturday (excluding Wednesday), 9.30am–4.00pm
- Extended hours
- Friday, 5.30pm–8.00pm
- Saturday, 4.30pm–6.30pm
- Sundays (limited), 10.00am–11:30am
We do not conduct ceremonies on Wednesdays.
Evening and Sunday morning ceremonies are booked from the first available time for the date you choose.
Sundays available (until booked out):
- 23 September 2018 (closed)
- 30 September 2018 (closed)
- 7 October 2018 (closed)
- 14 October 2018 (closed).
Cost of a ceremony at the registry
A registry wedding in Brisbane is an affordable way to get married.
Wedding ceremonies during our extended hours on Friday and Saturday evenings—and now Sunday mornings—include a standard marriage certificate and your choice of commemorative marriage certificate.
To secure a time and date for your ceremony, you will need to pay the applicable fee.
A registry ceremony costs:
- $344.00 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.30am–4.00pm)
- $588.00 (Friday, 5.30pm–8.00pm)—includes your choice of commemorative marriage certificate package
- $444.00 (Saturday, 9.30am–4.00pm)
- $588.00 (Saturday, 4.30pm–6.30pm )—includes your choice of commemorative marriage certificate package.
- $588.00 (Sunday, 10.00am–11.30am )—includes your choice of commemorative marriage certificate package.
The cost for a registry ceremony includes:
- the ceremony
- a celebrant
- the ceremony room
- a ceremonial marriage certificate.
You do not get an official standard marriage certificate on the day of your registry ceremony, unless it is included in the ceremony package, so you need to buy one for $48.20.
You can change your wedding date once for free. However, you will need to pay an additional fee for any additional date changes.
You can pay:
- at the counter
- by EFTPOS or credit card
- with cash
- with a business account cheque
- with a bank cheque
- with a money order
- through the mail
- by credit card
- with a business account cheque
- with a bank cheque
- with a money order.
Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.
We do not accept personal cheques.
What documents you need
When you come to your interview to book your registry wedding, you will need to bring your original proof of ID and supporting documents showing evidence of:
- the date and place of birth (original birth certificate) and current photo ID of each partner, or a current passport
- divorce or death of any former spouse (i.e. divorce document or death certificate), if applicable.
You need to show your wedding registry coordinator originals of your documents, because we cannot accept photocopies.
Interpreting and translated identity documents
If you cannot speak and understand English, you need to bring an interpreter.
For original documents that are not in English, you must also provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).