Previous marriage disclosure

Before getting married or entering a civil partnership, you must tell your registered marriage celebrant or civil partnership notary if you have been married before.

If you have been:

  • married before, you will need to show evidence of divorce or of the death of any former spouse before they can carry out your ceremony
  • in a civil partnership (previously called a registered relationship) you may be asked to provide evidence that it ended. We cannot provide this evidence unless your partnership is registered in Queensland and you apply to end the civil partnership through us and purchase a certificate.

For information about same-sex couples who divorce overseas on or after 9 December 2017, visit the federal Attorney-General's department (PDF, 328KB).

No record of marriage in Queensland

If you plan to get married overseas, check with the consulate of the country whether you will need a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland.

Learn how to apply for a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland.

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.