Letter of no record of marriage in Queensland

You can apply to us for a letter of no record of marriage if asked for by:

  • your registered celebrant
  • the country where you plan to get married.

If you plan to get married overseas you may need to provide evidence that you are not currently married in the state where you lived before going overseas.

Check with the consulate of the country before you go, to see if you need a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland—this may also be called a single status certificate.

You should also check with the country where you plan to get married if an apostille stamp is needed.

The letter you get from us will say that we have searched our Queensland marriage records using details you give us—your full name, date of birth and period of years searched—and it will include the results of our search.

You will need to tell us the search details in your completed application form. The type of searches done are from either:

  • when you turned 16 to now
  • if you are divorced—from the date of your divorce to now
  • if your previous spouse passed away—from their date of death to now
  • if you have moved to live in Queensland—from the date you moved to Queensland to now.

The letter is an official document which will have the official seal and signature of the Registrar-General.

Documents you will need to provide

You must be able to provide proof of ID and supporting documents if you have previously changed your name such as a deed poll document, or change of name certificate.

If you have been married before you must be able to provide supporting documents to show you are no longer married such as evidence of divorce or a death certificate.

How to apply

To apply for a letter of no record of marriage in Queensland, you need to:

  1. Complete, download and print the completed no record of marriage application form.
  2. Have your proof of ID and supporting documents (as required), certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
  3. Sign the applicant's section of the application form.
  4. Pay the fee.
  5. Submit your application form, payment and certified documents to us by post or in person.

Submit by post

Post your completed application form with payment and certified documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

Submit in person

Visit any of the following locations:

Bring your completed application form, your original proof of ID and other supporting documents (if needed).

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure you pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • within Australia
      • by credit card
      • with a business account cheque
      • with a bank cheque
      • with a money order
    • from overseas
      • by credit card.

We will accept cash at the customer service centre, but prefer contactless payments such as EFTPOS or credit card.

We do not accept personal cheques or cheques issued from outside Australia (in any currency).

Make Australian-drawn cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

Application fees

Search fee (per name) $26.20 under 1 name
Each additional name searched $26.20

Processing timeframe

Our processing timeframe is 5 business days and applies to correctly filled out applications that have been submitted with all the required proof of ID and supporting documents (as required).

This applies once we receive applications submitted by post or in person at a Queensland Magistrates Court or QGAP office.

Please allow extra time for Australia Post to deliver your letter to your address.

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $7.45
Registered mail $5.55
International registered post $17.70

Fill in the no record of marriage application form

Contact us

Online: our general enquiry form.

By phone: local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines are open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.