Changing your family name through marriage
If you were married in Australia, you don't generally need to apply for a change of name with us.
Personal documentation, such as your driver licence and passport, can be changed to your married name using a standard marriage certificate (but not the certificate issued by your celebrant at your wedding ceremony).
Apply for a standard marriage certificate if you need a certificate from us.
What will I need?
How to change your name through marriage
If you choose to change your family name when you get married, you’ll need to tell various government agencies, banks, utility suppliers and other businesses your married name.
You may be asked to:
- send a letter or email
- complete a change request form (online or one they send out to you)
- visit an office in person.
Organisations will also have different requirements for what proof they need, some may want:
- to see your standard marriage certificate
- a certified photocopy of your standard marriage certificate
- evidence of updated photo ID
- a combination of identity documents.
Online: Our general enquiry form.
By phone: Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3328 4811 (+10 hours UTC)
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.