Changing your name through marriage
Many people choose to use their spouse’s family name once they are married—it’s a custom and not the law.
If you were married in Australia, you don't need to apply formally for a change of name with us. Usually personal documentation, such as your driver licence and passport, can be changed to your married name when you provide a standard marriage certificate.
Apply to get a standard marriage certificate if you need a certificate from us.
How to change your name through marriage
If you choose to change your name when you get married, you’ll need to tell various government agencies, banks, utility suppliers and other businesses your new married name.
You may be asked to:
- send a letter or email
- complete a change request form (online or one they send out to you)
- visit an office in person.
Organisations will also have different requirements on what proof they need, some may want:
- to see your standard marriage certificate
- a certified photocopy of your standard marriage certificate for your account file with them
- evidence of updated photo ID
- a combination of identity documents.
Email: email@example.com, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.
(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)
*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.