Renew your blue card
We must receive your renewal application before your current card expires for you to continue working in regulated child-related employment. If you do this, you can continue to work and volunteer even after the card has expired.
If you do not renew your card before it expires, you will be unable to continue working or volunteering. You will be subject to No Card, No Start and will need to reapply for your blue card. Watch our on time renewal video for more information.
We send card holders a reminder text to renew 10 weeks before your current card expires. Please keep your contact details up-to-date so you receive your renewal reminder.
You can submit a renewal application up to 16 weeks before your current card expires.
Before you renew
Before you apply to renew your blue or exemption card using the online applicant portal or downloading the paper form, you should:
- know your existing blue card number
- check your eligibility
- know your customer reference number (CRN) or how to get one
- know your payment options.
We have created some videos to help with your application:
- What you need to know before applying
- Registering for an online account
- Applying through the applicant portal
How to renew your blue or exemption card
To renew your blue or exemption card, you need to follow 3 steps:
- Have a CRN from the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR).
- Register for an online account. This is how we verify your identity and get the photo for your card.
- Renew your blue or exemption card using the online applicant portal or download the paper form.
If you cannot renew your blue card due to not having a CRN from TMR, read how you can apply using a remote pack.
The online application works best on desktop or tablet devices. Please use an up-to-date browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge. You may encounter issues with older browsers.
Submit a paper application
If you can’t renew your blue or exemption card using the online applicant portal, you can download and complete a paper application.
You can submit your paper application to us by:
- scan and upload
- delivering it in person.
You will still need a CRN from TMR to submit a paper application.
If you haven’t registered for an online account, you will need to provide a certified copy of your proof of identity documents when you submit a paper application. Processing and approval times may take longer for paper applications.