Apply for a blue card or exemption card

You will need a blue card if you want to work or volunteer with children in Queensland. To apply, you need to have an agreement to work (paid or voluntary) or carry on a business which is regulated by the blue card system.

To renew your existing card, you should also use this process.

Find out if you need a blue card before you apply.

While your application is processed

Whether or not you can continue to work while your application is being processed will depend on your situation.

Paid employees

You can continue your paid work while we process your application.

However, if you are charged with or convicted of a serious offence , you will need to stop working while we assess your application.

We will let you know in writing if this happens.

Volunteers, students or business operators

You cannot work with children as a volunteer or in a student placement while we process your application.

Likewise, you cannot operate a business with children while you are waiting for your blue card.

However, if you submit your renewal application at least 30 days before your card expires, your card will stay valid and you can continue to work.

Teachers or police officers

If you are a registered teacher or sworn police officer in Queensland, you can work while we process your application.

However, you must have a valid exemption card before you start work in a non-state-school governing body as either:

  • director
  • assessor
  • auditor.

How long it will take

You should allow at least 28 business days for your application to be processed.

It will take longer for us to process if the form is not filled in correctly or if we find out any information from the blue card check.

How to apply

  1. Check if you need a blue card
  2. Fill in the form and make sure you answer all the questions
  3. Download and print your application
  4. Read and sign the declaration that confirms you are not disqualified from applying for a blue card
  5. Take your form to your employer so they can check your identity and sign your form
  6. Pay for your application online
  7. Submit your application

Printable forms

We also have the following printable blue card or exemption card forms available.

Blue card application forms

Blue card application forms for if you are:


If you work at a state school and are not a registered teacher, you can’t use the forms above. Contact your school’s administration staff for the form.

Teachers or police officers

If you are working in a job which does not relate to your professional role as a teacher or police officer, you will need to apply for an exemption card.

If you are an employee, volunteer or student, you need to use the exemption card form.

If you run your own business, you should use the exemption card business form instead.

Family day care

If you live in a home where a family day care or stand-alone care is run, you need to use the adult resident/occupant blue card application form.

Disability care

If you are working with children and adults with a disability, you can apply for a blue card and yellow card exemption together.

Cancel a negative notice

If 2 years has passed since you got your negative notice, you can apply to cancel a negative notice or negative exemption notice.

Disqualified person

Some disqualified people can apply using an eligibility declaration application.

Find out more about whether you are a disqualified person and the eligibility declaration process.

Criminal history changes

If you have had a change in your criminal record, you need to let your employer know and notify us with a change in police information form.

Find out more about what happens if your criminal history changes.