The cost of registration depends on what you are registering—car, motorcycle, trailer, truck or boat and if you want a 6 month or 12 month registration.
How much will my registration cost?
To get an accurate quote, make sure you know:
- the type of registration—new or renewal
- the type of vehicle you're registering—for example, a passenger car, motorcycle or light commercial
- the vehicle specifications—for example, the number of cylinders (for light vehicles) or the number of axles (for heavy vehicles)
- if you are entitled to a registration concession
- the name of your CTP insurance provider, if you are including CTP in the quote
- if you want a 6- or 12-month registration period (for light vehicles). You will have to pay a small surcharge if you select the 6-month option
- if you want a 3-, 6- or 12-month registration period (for heavy vehicles). You will have to pay a small surcharge if you select a 3- or 6-month option.
The surcharge on the 3- or 6-month option covers updating the vehicle register and other costs associated with the production, manufacture and mailing of the additional registration notices.
When you register your vehicle, the fees that you pay helps to build new roads and maintain the road network.
The registration cost you pay is made up of 3 parts:
- the registration fee
- the traffic improvement fee
- compulsory third party (CTP) insurance premium.
When your current registration is about to expire, you will receive a registration notice in the mail with information on costs and how to renew your registration.
Make sure you renew your registration on or before the due date or the vehicle can't legally be driven—a fee will be charged for late payment.
Other registration related fees
You may need to pay other registration fees for your vehicle.
Other fees include vehicle/plate transfer, number plates which includes accessory plates, permit to move an unregistered vehicle, trailer, caravan and a late payment fee.
|Transfer fees—vehicle or plate||Cost|
|Vehicle registration transfer fee||$28.05|
|Personalised number plate transfer fee||$101.80|
|Number plate fees||Cost|
|Standard (normal) plate fee—issue/replace||$30.20|
|Find out about personalised plate costs|
|Customise/accessory plate fees – currently issued standard plates||Cost|
|Customise and replace (with or without slimline)||$104.40|
|Customise and order accessory||$81.10|
|Customise, replace and order accessory (with or without slimline)||$134.60|
|Customise Plates – previously issued standard plates||Cost|
|Previously issued standard number plates – N, O or P series||$415.00|
|National heavy vehicle number plates||Cost|
|National heavy vehicle number plate fee||$25.00|
|Customise and replace national heavy (motor vehicle) number plate—slimline not available||$99.20|
|Customise and replace national heavy (trailer) number plate—slimline not available||$96.30|
|Customise and order accessory||$75.90|
|Customise, replace national heavy (motor vehicle) number plate and order accessory—slimline not available||$124.20|
|Customise, replace national heavy (trailer) number plate and order accessory—slimline not available||$121.30|
|Unregistered vehicle permit||Cost|
|Unregistered vehicle permit—CTP insurance may also apply||$33.55 per day plus CTP insurance|
Find out about refunds for unused unregistered vehicle permits.
|Late payment (registration renewal reinstatement) fee||Cost|
|A category 1 or 2 vehicle (excluding a category 1 trailer, a vehicle subject to the special interest vehicle or charitable concession, drawn plant, or a conditional or consular registered vehicle) |
Category 1—vehicle not more than 4.5t GVM
|Other vehicles (these are vehicles that are excluded from category 1 or category 2)||$15.85|
|Note: Vehicles receiving drought or disaster relief are exempt from paying the late fee|