Unregistered vehicle permit

I want to apply for an unregistered vehicle permit.

Apply for a permit

Moving unregistered vehicles, trailers or caravans on Queensland roads may require you to get an unregistered permit.

Find out when a permit is needed.

To get a permit, your vehicle must be in a safe condition to drive and the driver must carry the permit for the journey. If you are towing an unregistered trailer, the driver of the towing-vehicle must carry the permit.

Applying for a permit

You can apply for this permit online or in person at a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre. You will need to pay the unregistered permit fee when applying.

You will need to complete the unregistered vehicle permit application form (F3523) (PDF, 896KB) if applying in person.

Compulsory third party insurance

You will also need to have Class 22 compulsory third party (CTP) insurance. The cost of CTP insurance is separate to the unregistered permit fee.

You can nominate a CTP insurer of your choice or you can provide a prepaid Class 22 CTP certificate when applying for an unregistered vehicle permit in person, The online service does not accept prepaid Class 22 CTP certificates but you can nominate a Class 22 CTP insurer of your choice when purchasing an unregistered vehicle permit online.

With Class 22 insurance, you will need to pay the base rate for the first day plus the daily rate for any additional days. The Motor Accident Insurance Commission has more information about insurance rates and providers.

Caravans and trailers do not need CTP insurance if they are towed by a Queensland registered vehicle or by an unregistered vehicle with a Queensland issued unregistered vehicle permit.

How long does a permit last

Permits may be issued from 1 day to 7 days.

Your permit is issued for the time it will take to complete your journey—this must be the most direct route to your destination. The permit is valid from 12.01am of the first day of the journey and expires at midnight on the last day of the journey.

You should make sure that the dates on your permit and the dates for your Class 22 CTP insurance certificate are the same for the journey to ensure you are covered.

Refund of money paid for permit

No refund is applicable for expired permits.

You may be given a refund for any unexpired portion of a permit in excess of one day. However, the cost of the first day of the permit is non-refundable.

Requests for permit refunds are assessed at a transport and motoring customer service centre or Queensland Government Agent Program office.

When a permit is needed

You will need a permit to move an unregistered vehicle if:

  • your vehicle has been refused registration at a transport and motoring customer service centre and it needs to be taken home
  • you are getting a safety certificate or a certificate of inspection for a heavy vehicle that has an expired certificate of inspection
  • your vehicle needs to be repaired and is safe to move
  • you are moving it to another state or territory for registration
  • you are getting a modification plate
  • you buy an unregistered vehicle and need to move it
  • you need to tow an unregistered vehicle, trailer or caravan
  • you are moving it from one property to another when moving house
  • your vehicle is used exclusively on private property and needs to be moved to another location
  • your vehicle is permanent living accommodation, e.g. a caravan or motorised van, and needs to move to a new site
  • your vehicle is being used for display purposes, in conjunction with raffle ticket sales for a charitable organisation
  • your vehicle is being used in a procession, e.g. a parade/festival
  • you have a special interest vehicle more than 30 years old to be used in a rally and it has a permit for an exemption from a vehicle standard. These vehicles can include street rods/hot rods, historic ambulance and fire fighting equipment.

You can get a fine for not having a permit. Refunds are not given on expired permits.

When you don’t need an unregistered permit

You can only move an unregistered vehicle without a permit to apply for registration. To do this, you must have a completed vehicle registration application (F3518) (PDF, 421KB) and a valid CTP insurance certificate with you when making the journey.

You must directly drive from the location where the vehicle is located to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre. You can only stop along the way to get a:

  • gas certificate
  • weighbridge certificate
  • safety certificate/COI certificate (including road testing as part of a safety certificate/COI inspection)
  • written-off vehicle inspection (allowed for repairable write-offs only)
  • Queensland Police Service inspection (surrogate)
  • surrogate identification number/s stamped on the vehicle.

You must not stop anywhere else on your journey.

When a permit cannot be issued

You won’t be able to get a permit if your vehicle:

  • is considered unsafe to drive
  • is unregistered and has number plates, including personalised or customised plates, still on the vehicle
  • is subject to an unresolved serious vehicle manufacturer defect recall, for example: Takata airbag recall
  • has no VIN or Chassis number—vehicles manufactured before 1930 may use an engine number
  • is currently under a Number Plate Confiscation Notice issued by the Queensland Police Service
  • is left-hand drive and under 30 years old
  • is left-hand drive and weighs 4.5 tonnes or more
  • operates or carries a load for hire or reward
  • is modified, e.g. a specially constructed vehicle or stock car
  • is used in a wedding/formal
  • is a write-off and needs to be moved—this includes getting a written-off vehicle inspection
  • is imported or an imported trailer that needs to be moved before being certified as a compliant vehicle
  • is used to take rubbish to the dump in an unregistered trailer
  • does not comply with Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2021 or the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Mass Dimension and Loading) Regulation 2005—unless the relevant permit has been issued
  • is operating under a performance guideline other than the guideline for conditionally registered vehicles in Queensland (form 17) (PDF, 338KB).

How to apply for a permit online

You won’t be able to use this online service if the vehicle:

  • is written-off
  • is not in a safe condition
  • is subject to an unresolved serious vehicle manufacturer defect recall, for example: Takata airbag recall
  • requires a police permit or excess mass permit
  • does not have an identifier (VIN/chassis number)
  • is operating or carrying a load for hire or reward
  • has number plates attached to it—standard number plates must be surrendered while personalised or customised plates must be removed
  • is left-hand drive and less than 30 years old, or is left-hand drive and 4.5 tonnes or over.