How registration is calculated
In Queensland, vehicle registration fees for light motor vehicles are currently charged according to the number of cylinders a vehicle has. Cylinders are then grouped together based on similar power-to-weight ratios. The main cylinder groups are 1 to 3 (including electric), 4, 5 to 6 and 7 to 8 cylinders.
Vehicle registration fees are made up of 3 components:
- The vehicle registration fee: provides essential funding towards the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program, for transport infrastructure and maintenance.
- The traffic improvement fee: is a non-refundable fee collected by the Department of Transport and Main Roads for the construction and maintenance of the state’s road network.
- Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance: CTP insurance protects motor vehicle owners and drivers from being held financially responsible if they cause injury to someone else in a motor vehicle accident. Find more information about CTP insurance.
How Queensland compares to other states and territories
Each state or territory decides how to charge registration. Queensland’s cylinder based approach is consistent with South Australia and Tasmania. In New South Wales, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory, light vehicle registration fees are based on a vehicle’s tare weight, while the Northern Territory bases registration fees on the engine capacity of a vehicle. Victoria charges a flat fee for all light vehicles.
It is important to note that some jurisdictions require annual mandatory safety inspections for vehicles that are more than 5 years old, before they can be registered. This requirement increases the annual cost of registration, on top of the costs outlined in the following tables. There are no mandatory annual safety inspections for private light vehicles in Queensland.
2021–22 Private passenger use
The following tables compare the common full registration cost, including CTP insurance, between all states and territories for:
- fully electric vehicles
- 4 cylinder
- 4 cylinder utility
- 6 cylinder
- 8 cylinder
- motorcycle (dual seating)
- bus (4 cylinder, 14 passengers)
The following fees are a guide for 12-month registration periods as at 1 July 2021.
Fully electric vehicles
|State||$ cost based on a 2,109kg tare|
|State||$ cost based on a 1,275kg tare|
4 cylinder utility
|State||$ cost based on a 1,865kg tare|
|State||$ cost based on a 1,622kg tare|
|State||$ cost based on a 2,660kg tare|
Motorcycle (dual seating)
Bus (4 cylinder, 14 passengers)
|State||$ cost based on a 2,070kg tare|
Please note: The costs provided are based on averages. The exact costs of registration, including CTP, may differ depending on a number of factors, including CTP insurer, driver history and vehicle location.