How to transfer a vehicle, trailer, caravan or boat registration in person

If a used  vehicle, caravan, trailer or boat changes hands, the  registration must be transferred within 14 days after getting the vehicle or boat. There are fees you may need to pay when you transfer registration.

Transfer registration online

Find out how to transfer your registration online. The transfer of registration online is not available to organisations.

Transfer a boat registration

Find out how to change or transfer a boat registration.

Transfer a  vehicle, trailer or caravan registration in person

If you  are selling or disposing of your vehicle (for example, a car, motorcycle, heavy vehicle, caravan or trailer) to another person, you will need to  give them:

  • the current Queensland safety certificate or  certificate of inspection:
    • handwritten certificates—give them the original blue copy
    • electronic certificates—give them a printed copy or write the certificate number on the transfer application form. If requested, you must show the buyer your electronic certificate so they can ensure it is valid
  • a gas  inspection certificate that is less than 3 months old at the time of  transferring the registration (for vehicles fitted with gas fittings or systems).

If you cannot get a gas inspection certificate because  there is no one authorised to issue gas inspection certificates within a  reasonable distance of where you live, you can apply for a gas  exemption certificate.

Caravans  or motorhomes are not exempt from providing a gas certificate.

On the  day you sell the  vehicle, you will also need to complete Part B of the vehicle  registration transfer application (F3520) and have the buyer sign this part of the form.

Make sure you keep this as proof of transfer until the  registration is  transferred out of your name. You can check by  phoning the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80, or viewing your registrations online through your My Account portal.

If the registration is currently paid by direct debit make sure you remove the vehicle from your direct debit service to prevent a payment being deducted in error.

Remember to remove any toll tags from the vehicle you are selling and update your details with Linkt the toll payment provider.

If  you believe the registration transfer has  not been lodged by the buyer, you may be eligible to lodge this transfer online, or you can submit Part B in person and a copy of the  safety certificate at a transport  and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP  office, Magistrates  Court or local police  station that provides vehicle registration services.

Warning: You may be held accountable for offences committed by the  buyer if they don't submit Part A and you don't submit Part B.

Buying or receiving a vehicle—transferring the registration in person

If you  buy or receive a  vehicle, you will need to submit your registration transfer request to a transport  and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP  office, Magistrates  Court or local police  station that provides vehicle registration services within 14 days of getting the vehicle.

Bring  these documents with you:

Buying  or receiving a vehicle as an organisation

If you are registering a vehicle in the name of an  organisation, you will need to bring organisation identification, such as a:

  • certificate of       incorporation issued by the Office of Fair Trading
  • certificate of       registration of a company or business issued by the Australian Securities Investments       Commission.

You must also provide proof that you are acting on behalf of  the organisation, such as:

  • wearing the organisation’s uniform
  • a business card or business identification
  • documentation from the organisation on official  letterhead.

You must also bring your original driver licence or other proof of identity.


When you transfer the registration into your name, you will  have to pay the following fees:

Transfer registration for a modified vehicle to suit a disabled person

When buying this type of vehicle, complete a modified vehicle statutory declaration to claim a vehicle registration duty exemption for vehicle modifications made to enable a disabled person to drive or be a passenger. Give this statutory declaration to the vehicle dealer when you buy the vehicle or a transport and motoring customer service centre when you lodge your vehicle registration transfer application.

Only a person with a disability, a relative or carer of a  person with a disability can apply to transfer the registration of a modified  vehicle.

Selling heavy  vehicles

If you’re selling a Queensland-registered heavy vehicle that’s part of the National  Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme maintenance module and the vehicle will not continue to be in the scheme, you will need to get a certificate of inspection before you can  transfer it.

Visit  the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website for information on adding or  removing a vehicle from your fleet.