Evidence of identity
- All documents must be originals—photocopies and certified copies are not acceptable.
- At least 1 of your category A or category B documents must show your signature.
We need evidence of your identity before we can give you a Queensland driver licence or replace an existing licence. This evidence may also be needed for other transactions, including registering a vehicle.
On this page:
- About evidence of identity
- Category A documents
- Category B documents
- Evidence of your name change
- Evidence of your Queensland residential address
- If you cannot show an identity document
About evidence of identity
You can give us this evidence by showing your Queensland-issued:
- current driver licence (or 1 that has been current at any time within the last 2 years)
- adult proof of age or photo identification card
- industry authority card for example a taxi driver licence
- marine licence indicator.
If you do not have these, you will need to present 3 original evidence of identity documents:
- 1 category A document + 2 category B documents
- 2 category A documents + 1 category B document.
At least 1 of your category A or category B documents must show your signature.
You will have to show more documents if your:
All documents must be originals—photocopies and certified copies are not acceptable. The department may keep a copy of your evidence of identity documents or information about them to verify these documents with the issuing agency or a document verification service.
Category A documents
Category A documents show evidence of the legal existence of your name and date of birth.
All Category A documents must show your full legal name.
|Category A document||Status|
Australian photo driver licence
Note: Non-Queensland digital driver licences are not acceptable, the physical licence must be presented.
|Current or expired less than 2 years|
|Australian birth certificate—full, not an extract or commemorative certificate||Current|
|Bicentennial birth certificate—issued for births in 1988||Current|
|Australian citizenship or naturalisation certificate||Current|
Department of Immigration and Border Protection or Department of Home Affairs
Note: an Electronic Travel Authority is not an acceptable evidence of identity document
|Valid up to 5 years after issue|
|Queensland or Australian Federal Police officer photo identity card||Current|
|Queensland government issued photographic high risk work licence||Current or expired less than 2 years|
|Australian or foreign passport||Current or expired less than 2 years|
Convention Travel Document
Note: a Titre de Voyage is an Australian issued convention travel document and a Document de Voyage is a convention travel document issued by another country.
|Current or expired less than 2 years|
|Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Document of Identity||Current or expired less than 2 years|
Laminated Queensland Government issued accreditation or authorisation
|Current or expired less than 2 years|
|Queensland 18+ card (laminated)||Issued after 1 January 1992|
Category B documents
Category B documents show evidence of the use of your name in the community. We will accept a Category B document that shows your initial/s and surname if it matches the full name on your Category A document.
Acceptable Category B documents include:
|Category B document||Status|
|Australian Defence Force photo identity card—excluding civilians||Current|
|Australian educational institution student identity document—must include photo and/or signature. We will not accept certificates or statements of enrolment or letters issued by the institution.||Current|
|Australian firearm licence—with photo||Current|
|Australian security guard or crowd controller licence—with photo||Current|
Services Australia BasicsCard
|Department of Veterans’ Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession card—including Health Care cards*||Current|
Debit or credit card—must include signature and embossed or printed name.
If your card does not have your name or you have a passbook, your bank will need to provide a supporting letter confirming your full name and address linked to that account
|Medicare card—may be used by any person listed on the card*||Current|
|Interstate government-issued or government-approved Proof of Age Card, Photo Card or Photo Identification Card||Current|
*Digital versions of these documents can be presented for in-person transactions only. Customers must, when presenting a digital copy, login to the relevant app and show the card within their digital wallet. Screen shots or printed copies are not accepted.
Evidence of your name change
If you have changed your name, or the details of your name are different on your identification documents, you must show an original, official document that provides evidence of your change of name.
|Australian marriage certificate (not a ceremonial certificate)||Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
|Australian civil partnership/relationship certificate||Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
|Australian Change of Name certificate||Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
|Australian birth certificate (amended with/without notations)||Issued by relevant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
|Divorce papers (must show the name being reverted to)||Issued by relevant court|
|Deed poll||Issued before 1 February 2004|
Overseas marriage certificate requirements
You can use an official overseas marriage certificate if you also provide:
- 1 category A document in your married name
- 2 category B documents in your married name.
The overseas marriage certificate must show an official crest and the registration number. If the marriage certificate is not in English, a recognised English translation from a translator approved by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) is required.
Evidence of your Queensland residential address
If your evidence of identity documents do not show your current home address in Queensland you will need to prove that you live in Queensland.
|A category A or B Evidence of Identity (EOI) document which includes your residential and/or garaging address||Current|
|Contract of property purchase, lease/rental document, mortgage/land ownership certificate||Current|
|Electricity, gas or telephone account||Current|
|Queensland local government rates notice||Current|
|Queensland land tax valuation notice||Current|
|Queensland vehicle registration certificate||Current|
|Renewal notice for Queensland driver licence or vehicle registration||Current|
|Bank statement (with corresponding debit or credit card)||Issued within the last 6 months|
Australian Tax Office (ATO) assessment/tax file number confirmation notice|
To avoid identity theft, the Australian Taxation Office recommends that you block out your tax file number before you submit this document.
|Current or previous financial year|
|Australian Electoral Commission document (e.g. acknowledgement of electoral enrolment letter or electoral enrolment card)||Current|
|Official letter from Centrelink or the Department of Human Services||Issued within the last 6 months|
If you genuinely cannot show any of these documents you can:
- complete the Queensland residency declaration form (F4208)
- complete the Queensland garaging address statement form (F4408)
- provide a statement from your employer. The statement must be on your employer’s letterhead, include the business registration number (ABN, ACN) as well as your full name and residential address. It must also contain the full name, daytime contact number and signature of a person authorised to sign on behalf of your employer. While you may be authorised to sign on behalf of your employer, you cannot complete your own statement.
- provide a statement from your educational institution’s administrator. The statement must be on the educational institution’s letterhead, provide the full name, daytime contact number and signature of the administrator. It must also contain your full name, date of birth, residential address and student identification number. To support this statement, you will need to show your current student identity card.
If you cannot show an identity document
If you cannot show a required evidence of identity document, you can get advice by:
- calling us on 13 23 80
- visiting a transport and motoring customer service centre
- visiting a Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office
- going to a licence-issuing police station—in rural or remote areas of Queensland.