Upgrading a licence

If you have a Queensland  provisional or open licence, you can learn to drive the next highest vehicle  class.

If your provisional  or open licence only authorises you to drive a class of motor vehicle fitted  with an automatic transmission, you are also authorised to learn to drive or  ride the same or higher class of motor vehicle fitted with a manual  transmission.

Different rules  apply when learning  to ride motorcycles.

Learning to drive a higher class

When  learning to ride or drive in a higher licence class, you must:

  • be  accompanied by a supervisor who
    • holds  an open licence in the licence class you are learning to drive in
    • has  held that licence class for at least 1 year
  • clearly  display L plates at the front and rear of the vehicle (back only for  motorcycles)
  • show  your provisional or open licence to a police officer if required
  • obey  a zero alcohol limit
  • not  be under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs
  • obey  any conditions stated  on your licence.

Unaccompanied  learner drivers will get 4 demerit points and a $208 fine.

The  maximum court-imposed penalty for this offence is more than $2,600.

Moving to a higher class

To apply  for the next higher class, you must hold your current licence for a set period.

This  period:

  • must have occurred in the       last 5 years
  • can be continuous or made up       of different individual lengths of time (excluding any time that your       licence was suspended, surrendered, cancelled or expired).
Current licence classMinimum length of timeNext higher licence class
C1 yearRE
RE2 yearsR
C1 yearLR or MR
C2 yearsHR
LR or MR1 yearHR
MR or HR1 yearHC
HR or HC1 yearMC

How to apply

To apply for the next higher class of licence you must:

You no longer have to complete a driver licence application form when visiting a Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre.

You will still need to complete driver licence application form (F3000) at police stations and most QGAP offices.

Once you meet these requirements you can apply for your  current licence to be re-issued with the new class.