Skip links and keyboard navigation

Changing your registration—moving interstate or buying a Queensland registered vehicle

Find out how to change your registration if you are:

Moving to Queensland—change your registration

If you move to Queensland from another state or territory, you must get Queensland registration and a Queensland driver licence. You have 14 days to register your vehicle in Queensland and may be fined if you don’t.

When you register your vehicle in Queensland, you can apply to get a refund on the remaining part of your interstate registration.

To do this, you need to hand in your interstate number plates at a transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services.

If you have purchased personalised or customised number plates from the interstate authority you will have to check with them to see whether you can keep the plates. 

You will get a receipt for the surrender of the number plates. To cancel the interstate registration you must contact the interstate authority where you vehicle was previously registered.

Moving from Queensland to interstate

If you move to another state or territory and take your Queensland registered vehicle with you to your new address, you will need to register your vehicle in that state or territory.

When you register your vehicle in another state, surrender the number plates to the transport authority and make sure to get a plate surrender receipt. To do this, you need to contact the relevant transport authority to find out their registration requirements.

Refund of unexpired Queensland registration

You can apply to the Department of Transport and Main Roads for a refund of the unexpired portion of Queensland registration, as well as the compulsory third party (CTP) insurance component.

A refund will only be issued to the registered operator of the Queensland registered vehicle—this is the person who the vehicle is registered to. If you’re not the registered operator of a vehicle you cannot get a refund.

To apply for a refund of unexpired registration

Mail a completed cancellation of registration form (F3517) (PDF, 282KB) with a copy of the plate receipt to:

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Rockhampton Customer Service Centre
PO Box 5096

Make sure you provide your mailing address on the form.

Buying a Queensland registered vehicle from interstate

A vehicle must be garaged at a Queensland address to be registered in Queensland. If you live interstate and purchase a vehicle that is registered in Queensland, you cannot register it in your name in Queensland unless you have a Queensland garaging address.

If you can’t transfer the Queensland registration into your name, you may ask the seller to cancel the vehicle’s registration at a transport and motoring customer service centre. You can then apply for an unregistered vehicle permit to transport the vehicle to your home address.

To register the vehicle you will need to contact the transport authority in your state or territory to find out their registration requirements.

Transfer your interstate licence

When you change your registration, make sure you transfer to a Queensland driver licence within 3 months.

Queensland road rules

If you’re new to Queensland, make sure you know the Queensland road rules.
Last updated
22 December 2014
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.