Cancelling your vehicle, trailer, caravan, motorised mobility device or boat registration

To cancel your vehicle trailer, caravan, motorised mobility device (motorised wheelchair/mobility scooter) or boat registration, complete the cancellation of registration form (F3517).

Take this form and your vehicle's number plates to a transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services.

Or, you can mail your completed cancellation of registration form and your number plates or number plate receipt to:

Department of Transport and Main Roads
Vehicle Cancellations
PO Box 372

Number plates

You will need to hand in your number plates when you submit your cancellation of registration form.

If your vehicle is issued with 2 number plates, both plates must be handed in. For trailers, motorcycles, and motorised mobility devices (motorised wheelchairs/mobility scooters) you will only hand in 1 number plate as only 1 plate is issued.

In Queensland, you can keep your plates if you have personalised or customised plates. If you are also cancelling the personalised/customised plate/s attached to your vehicle, the cancel of personalised/customised plate form (F5339) must be completed and submitted with the cancel of registration form (F3517). Your personalised/customised number plates must be handed in when you submit your application.

If you have moved from interstate you will have to check with the relevant authority if you have personalised or customised plates.

If 1 or both of your number plates have been lost, stolen or destroyed, you will need to complete the statement on the cancellation of registration form.

You will receive a receipt for any number plates you hand in.

Deceased registered operator

Before cancelling a vehicle’s registration where the registered operator is deceased, the executor, administrator or next of kin must transfer it into the Estate of the deceased or to another person. This makes sure that any unused portion of registration is refunded to the correct person.

Refunds on current registrations

If you are cancelling a current Queensland registration, you may receive a refund for the unused portion of your registration and compulsory third party (CTP) insurer’s premium.

Refunds do not include the traffic improvement fee and other fees and surcharges, such as the registration renewal reinstatement fee and compulsory third party levies.

A cancellation fee is charged to cover the cost of processing and refunding the registration and is deducted from the registration fee refund.

You cannot receive a refund if a Queensland registered vehicle is not recorded in Queensland in your name at the time of cancellation.

Written-off vehicles

The written-off vehicle register must be updated if you are cancelling the registration because your vehicle has been wrecked. This is usually done for you by your insurance company or auto wrecker. If not, you need to complete a cancellation of registration form (F3517).

If your vehicle has not been assessed by an insurer and is less than 16 years old you will also need to complete the written–off vehicle notification form (F4069).

If your vehicle has been written-off and you would like your refund backdated to the day following the accident, make sure you declare on the cancellation of registration form that the vehicle has not been used since the date of the accident.

You must also provide a document confirming the date of the accident, such as the police report or a letter from your insurer. This document should confirm the registration number or vehicle identification number (VIN) and chassis number.

Impounded vehicles and confiscated number plates

Different rules may apply if your vehicle has been impounded or your number plates have been confiscated by the Queensland Police Service.

If your number plates have been confiscated by the Queensland Police Service, your vehicle cannot be cancelled during the confiscation period.

Contact Queensland Police Service for more information.