Selling a used vehicle

Selling your vehicle can feel like a tricky process. The easiest way to sell your vehicle is to a licensed motor dealer.

If you are selling a vehicle privately, knowing the steps to take before and after you find a buyer can make it a lot quicker and easier.

Selling an unregistered vehicle privately

If you are selling your vehicle unregistered, you do not need to have the vehicle inspected, but if you plan to move it you will need an unregistered vehicle permit to do so.

Find out more about selling or moving an unregistered vehicle.

Selling a registered vehicle privately

When selling your registered vehicle privately, there are steps you need to take before you put it up for sale and when someone agrees to buy it.

Find out information about a person buying your Queensland registered vehicle from interstate.

Getting ready to sell your vehicle

When getting ready to sell a registered vehicle privately make sure:

  • the vehicle is in a safe and legal condition. If the vehicle is in an unsafe condition or otherwise defective, you have the option to:
    • repair all the defects, or
    • sell it to an auto dealer, or
    • sell it to an auto parts dismantler, or
    • sell it unregistered.
  • you have a current inspection certificate (unless the vehicle is exempt from needing one). For most light vehicles this is a safety certificate (from an approved inspection station). For heavy vehicles, licensed tow trucks, buses and public passenger transport vehicles this is a Certificate of Inspection (COI) .
  • display the handwritten safety certificate on your vehicle—it must be attached to your vehicle before you put it up for sale. Electronically issued certificates and COIs don't need to be displayed on your vehicle, however you must be able to produce it if requested by a buyer, buyer's agent, police officer or transport inspector. There are on-the-spot fines for not having a current inspection certificate or not displaying a handwritten safety certificate when selling a vehicle. This includes when you advertise online, in a newspaper, or with a sign on the vehicle.
  • if your vehicle has gas fuel systems or other gas systems, you will need to get a gas certificate from an authorised gas installer—the issue date for your gas certificate must not be more than 3 months old when the registration is transferred.

If the registration is currently paid by direct debit, make   sure you remove the registration from your direct debit so a payment is not deducted after you have sold your vehicle.

Transfer your registration

Find out how to transfer your registration.

Transfer registration

Selling a heavy vehicle in the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS)

If you are selling a heavy vehicle participating in the NHVAS maintenance module you will need a COI unless the buyer is also in NHVAS and intends to add the vehicle to the maintenance module. More information on transferring the vehicle on the scheme is available from the NHVR.