Special Interest Vehicle Concession Scheme guide

Removing a Special Interest Vehicle concession

When to remove the concession

If you are no longer eligible for a concession, you must notify the Department of Transport and Main Roads in writing within 14 days of becoming ineligible.

The special interest vehicle concession must be removed:


  • the registered operator is no longer a current member of an incorporated car club or association


  • the vehicle registration is being transferred and the new registered operator does not meet the requirements of the special interest vehicle concession scheme guide.

How to remove the concession

Obtain a 'change of class' letter from your Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurer (not required if removing the concession at transfer or registration renewal). Complete the change of vehicle particulars notification form (F3524) and take it to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services—please call to confirm before visiting.

You will need to remove and surrender your special interest vehicle plates and purchase standard plates at the time of application, if applicable. Personalised plates do not need to be surrendered.

A change of class and any associated changes to the purpose of use made during the currency of the registration period is effective from the date indicated on the insurer's change of class letter.

In this guide:

  1. Eligible vehicles
  2. How to apply
  3. Conditions and restrictions
  4. What to carry in your vehicle
  5. Penalties
  6. Change of address
  7. Interstate recognition
  8. Number plates
  9. Removing a Special Interest Vehicle concession

Print entire guide