Local government concessions

Only vehicles that are used solely for the purpose  of the local government are eligible for this concession. The organisation must be either:

  • a recognised local government authority  (any shire, city or town council)
  • a corporation or  instrumentality representing the Crown, sub-department, board or commission  (corporation or instrumentality must be under the control or direction of a  government department)

All vehicles used solely for the work of the  organisation are eligible for this concession, including load-carrying trailers  (not equipment trailers) with an ATM over 4.5t. Buses used for carrying  passengers for hire are not eligible.

How to apply

Complete the vehicle registration application (F3518) and take it to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or  local police station that provides vehicle registration services—please call to confirm before  visiting.

You may also need:

  • documentation proving local government status, unless exempt
  • a statement from the controlling government department, unless exempt:
    • identifying the vehicle by make, body type and engine number
    • indicating that the vehicle is owned by the representing corporation, instrumentality, sub-department board or commission
    • that the organisation is under the control or direction of that particular department

The representative from a  local government authority is required to provide proof such as a business card  or identification, or a document from the organisation. They must also provide  their personal identification, such as a driver licence, to enable them to  register a vehicle in the name of the local government.