Senior, pensioner and impaired service person concessions

You may be eligible for a reduction on your vehicle or boat  registration fee if you are:

Your concession document and the registration of the vehicle or boat  must be in the same name and must be used mainly for your own private use. Concessional  registration only applies to the following vehicles recorded with a private  purpose of use:

  • motorcycles
  • motor vehicle not over 4.5t GVM
  • motorised caravan (no GVM limit)
  • recreational boat.

You can only receive this concession for 1 vehicle and 1  recreational boat at a time. You will need to fill out a new form each time you  wish to transfer this concession to a different vehicle or boat. You can only  claim 1 concession per couple.

How to apply

Complete the registration  concession application (F3937) and take it to your  nearest transport  and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a  rural area, a QGAP  officeMagistrates  Court or local police  station that provides vehicle or boat registration services—please  call to confirm before visiting.

You will also need to show your Queensland Seniors Card or  Pensioner Concession Card, or if you are a prescribed services person your Department of Veteran Affairs’ Gold Card embossed with TPI or EDA. If your Gold Card is not embossed, your Gold Card and a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs confirming your level of incapacitation or impairment.

If you hold a  Seniors Card or you’re a prescribed services person, you only have to show  your concession document once.

If you have a Pensioner Concession Card you must show it  every time you apply for concessional registration.

If you are presenting a digital copy of your Pensioner  Concession Card as an alternative to your physical concession card, you will  need to log into the Australian Government Centrelink Express Plus mobile app  on your smart device and show your current card within the digital wallet.

Find  more information about the Australian Government Centrelink Express Plus mobile  app.

You must be a resident of Queensland.

If you apply for a concession for a vehicle that is already  part way through a registration period, the concession will take effect  immediately and you may be given a refund for the difference of the full  registration amount and the concession amount for the time left over in the  registration period.

If you apply for a concession for a boat that is already  part way through a registration period, the concession will take effect from  the next registration period.

Removing a concession

If you are no longer eligible for a concession, you must notify the Department of Transport and Main Roads in writing within 14 days of becoming ineligible.

If you want  to swap the concession to another vehicle, you will need to remove the concession off the old vehicle before you  apply for the concession on the new vehicle.

If you remove the concession from a vehicle part way through  a registration period, you may need to pay the difference between the  concession amount and the full registration amount for the time left over in  the registration period.