First Nations Sport and Recreation Program
The First Nations Sport and Recreation Program aims to increase the physical activity levels of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in non-discrete communities.
The program provides funding to organisations in non-discrete communities to coordinate and facilitate the delivery of physical activity opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to increase physical activity participation.
- Applications open: Wednesday 22 March 2023
- Applications close: Wednesday 26 April 2023, 5pm (AEST)
- Successful projects announced: July 2023
- Projects complete: 30 June 2024
Who can apply?
The following organisation types can apply under the program (subject to meeting eligibility requirements outlined in the program guidelines):
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses and organisations
- Not-for-profit organisations
- Local government authorities (excluding discrete communities)
Eligible organisations can only submit one application to this round of the program (unless otherwise approved by the department).
Applicants who were previously successful under Round 1 of the program are eligible to apply again, provided all Round 2 eligibility requirements outlined in the program guidelines are met.
Total funding of $1.5 million (GST exclusive) is available under Round 2 for the delivery of projects from 1 July 2023 to 30 June 2024. Grants will be awarded through a competitive application and assessment process.
Up to and including $25,000
$25,001 to $200,000
Eligible project activities must align with one or more of these categories:
- Employment - employment costs/contract positions that support an active community
- Participation – reducing barriers to participation in physical activities
- Equipment – equipment to facilitate the delivery of physical activity experiences
- Capability and Capacity – skills, knowledge and experience of volunteers and staff
Examples of eligible projects can be found in the program guidelines.
Projects to be delivered in discrete communities (including in the Torres Strait) are not eligible for funding under this program.
How to apply
To apply for funding under this program, your organisation must be registered in the Sport and Recreation Grant Registration Portal.
Submit mandatory documents with your application, including a Cost Sheet and a Project Plan (for Tier 2 only).
You can access these forms through your local Sport and Recreation office.
See a full list of mandatory documents in clause 6.1 of the program guidelines.
Once your application has been assessed, applicants will receive written notification on the outcome of their application.
Read the program guidelines for more information.
Contact your Indigenous Engagement Officer through your local Sport and Recreation office (Opens in new window) (Opens in new window) if you have any questions.