Buying from a licensed motor dealer

Buying from a licensed motor dealer can cost more than a private sale, but it is the safest way to buy a used car.

Motor dealer licences

All motor dealers in Queensland must have a licence to sell:

  • used cars
  • other used vehicles.

Check our online register to make sure your dealer is licensed.

When you buy a used car from a licensed dealer, you are entitled to:

If a motor dealer sells a vehicle privately, they must tell you they are a licensed dealer.


Complain to the business

If you have a problem with a motor dealer, the first thing you should do is talk to them. Usually, people want to do the right thing and will be happy to fix any problems. You should write to the manager. Make sure you set out the problem and how you would like them to fix it.

Complain to the industry body

You might also be able to complain to the Motor Trades Association of Queensland (MTAQ), the peak body for the Queensland’s automotive industry. You can only do this if your retailer is a MTAQ member.

Lodge a formal complaint

Sometimes the business won’t help. If this happens, you can make a formal complaint to us.

Lodge a QCAT claim

You might also be able to lodge a claim with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).