Funding and grants
- Athlete scholarships are available through the Australian Institute of Sport.
- The Elite Indigenous Travel and Accommodation Assistance Program helps Indigenous people with travel costs (petrol or air travel) and accommodation expenses.
- The state sport and recreation organisation for your activity may have information about what funding is available for your chosen sport.
- Your local council may offer financial help for athletes.
- Townsville City Council provides funding to local athletes to attend national and international competitions.
Kids and young people
Get Started voucher program
- Round 5 vouchers are now fully allocated and must be presented to a Get Started club by 11 May 2015.
- A voucher of up to $150 is available for eligible children and young people aged between 5 and 17 who find it difficult to afford the costs to join a sport or recreation club.
- Parents can apply for a voucher to help pay for club membership and participation fees.
- Clubs must be registered with the Get Started program to accept vouchers.
- Referral agents (such as police officers and school teachers) can refer eligible children and young people for a voucher.
Other funding sources
- The Young Athlete Assistance Program gives eligible athletes under 18 who have competed or officiated at a state, national or international championship $200 towards the cost of travel and accommodation.
- The Local Sporting Champions Program gives young athletes (aged 12–18) grants of up to $500 to pay for travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at recognised sporting championships.
- Read about what other grants and funding are available for young people.
For clubs and organisations
Upgrading sport and recreation facilities
- The Get Playing program is available for eligible not-for-profit sport and recreation organisations, with up to $100,000 to help improve your facilities. Closed on 1 September 2014 (round 3).
- The Get Playing Plus program is available for eligible councils and not-for-profit sport or recreation organisations, with up to $1,500,000 to help improve your infrastructure. Closed on 20 October 2014 (round 1).
- The Sport and Recreation Disaster Recovery program is open for applications, with up to $25,000 to support eligible organisations affected by Tropical Cyclone Marcia and the associated heavy rain.
- QRAA offers grants and funding to help with the cost of repairs to eligible not-for-profit organisations affected by a natural disaster.
- Your local council may provide funding to help you upgrade your facilities or recover from a disaster.
- Brisbane City Councils offers community grants to help not-for-profit organisations improve their facilities and services.
- The Get Going program can help you grow your club—up to $10,000 is available for eligible not-for-profit organisations for projects that create more opportunities to attract members. Closed on 1 September 2014 (round 3).
- The Sport and Recreation Industry Development program provides up to $300,000 in funding for state-wide programs, services and events that increase participation in sport and active recreation.
Other funding resources
- Queensland Outdoor Recreation Federation (QORF) has a list of grants and funding resources.
- Community door provides information about funding for organisations to deliver community services.
- Not-for-profit community groups can apply for funding between a minimum of $500 and a maximum of $35,000 through the Gambling Community Benefit Fund.
- Volunteering North Queensland has information about funding programs for community and not-for-profit groups.
- Community and volunteer groups can apply for small grants of up to $5000 toward the cost of equipment and materials through the Caring for our Community grants initiative. In some cases, up to $15,000 may be granted for more significant essential equipment.
- Register your club to accept sports vouchers—up to $150 can be used by eligible children to help pay for club membership and/or participation fees through the Get Started program.