P2 provisional licence
There are 2 types of provisional licences—P1 and P2. The P2 licence is your second provisional licence before you move onto your open licence.
Applying for a P2 licence
You will get a P2 licence if you:
- are at least 18 and you have:
- are at least 25 and you:
- have held your learner licence for at least 1 year, and
- were at least 25 years when you passed the practical driving test.
This table outlines when you will be eligible for a P2 or open licence:P2 licence
|Age when issued P1 licence||Minimum length held P1 licence||Age when issued P2 licence||Minimum length held|
|Under 23 years||1 year||Under 25 years||2 years|
|23 years||1 year||24 years and over||1 year|
|24 years||1 year||n/a - open licence issued||-|
|-||-||25 years and over||1 year|
Driving with a P2 licence
On a P2 licence, you no longer have passenger restrictions and you can use a hands-free mobile phone.
When driving you must:
- display green P plates
- only drive vehicles allowed on your licence class
- have your licence with you and show it to a police officer when asked
- comply with any conditions on your licence. For example, if you have an ‘S’ condition on your licence you can only drive while wearing corrective lenses
- obey the zero alcohol limit.
You must not: