Open licence

Applying for an open licence

You must be at least 20 years old to be eligible for an open driver licence. You can apply by visiting a:

To upgrade your provisional  licence to an open licence, you must:

You no longer have to complete a driver licence application form when visiting a Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre.

You will still need to complete a driver licence application form (F3000) at police stations and most QGAP offices.

You may need to have your photo taken when you apply for your open licence. If your application is approved, you will receive a driver licence receipt which authorises you to drive. Your new driver licence will be sent to you by standard mail.

Driving with an open licence

When driving  with an open licence you must:

  • only drive the vehicles allowed on your licence class unless you are learning to drive a higher vehicle class
  • comply with any conditions on your licence
  • carry your licence with you at all times when driving a heavy vehicle and show it to a police officer if requested—you may be given 48 hours to present your licence if you are driving a class C vehicle or riding a motorcycle
  • not be under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs.

You must also obey the:

  • general alcohol limit (below 0.05) when driving a car or riding a motorcycle for private use
  • zero alcohol limit (0.00)
    • if you hold a class RE open motorcycle licence and you have held the class RE licence for less than 12 months you are required to comply with the zero alcohol limit (0.00) while riding a motorcycle
    • if you hold a valid licence that has an 'I' condition (for interlock) you are required to comply with the zero alcohol limit (0.00) at all times when driving.
  • zero alcohol limit (0.00) also applies when driving, or in charge of a:
    • truck
    • bus
    • articulated motor vehicle
    • B-double
    • road train
    • taxi
    • limousine
    • tow truck
    • pilot or escort vehicle escorting an oversize vehicle
    • vehicle carrying a placard load of dangerous goods
    • tractor
    • specially constructed vehicle
    • a vehicle you are using to deliver driver training.

You can supervise  a learner driver once you have held that class of open licence for a year. You  can learn to drive the next higher vehicle class while you hold a provisional,  probationary or open licence.