Skip links and keyboard navigation

Learner licence

Once you turn 16, you can apply for your learner licence to drive a car. To get a learner licence for a motorcycle, you have to hold a provisional, probationary or open car licence for at least 1 year before you can apply.

A learner licence allows you to drive a car under supervision. Your supervisor must have held an open licence for at least one year and currently hold an open licence (for example, their licence must not be expired or suspended).

To get your learner licence, you need to pass a written road rules test and be medically fit to drive.

Preparing for the written test

The written test for a car consists of 30 multiple-choice questions about road rules and driver licence requirements.

Your keys to driving in Queensland gives you all the information you need to pass the test

You can also prepare for your test by completing the online practice road rules test.

How to apply

You can apply for a learner licence at a:

You will need to bring:

If you pass the written road rules test, you will receive a driver licence receipt for your learner licence which authorises you to drive until your learner licence is received in the mail. You will also receive information on how to obtain the TMR Logbook application to record your driving experience. If you need one, you can be provided a bound logbook.

If you do not pass the written test, you have to wait until the next working day to take the test again. You must pay the test fee every time you take the test.

Learn Queensland's road rules

Download or buy a copy of Your keys to driving in Queensland to learn the rules you'll need to follow while driving.

A new way to learn

PrepL is a new online learning and assessment program, designed to improve learner driver education.

Last updated
14 August 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.