Driver tests, book or reschedule a test

To get a driver licence in Queensland or add another class to your existing licence, you must pass knowledge, hazard perception and practical driving tests.

You must pass a PrepL or a written road rules test before you can:

Preparing for PrepL

PrepL combines both theory and the test. PrepL will take around 4-6 hours to complete. You will have 12 months to complete the course from the date of your enrolment. You can do PrepL at your own pace, any time, using a compatible smartphone, tablet or computer.

Find more information about PrepL.

Preparing for a written road rules test

The questions in the written road rules test come from Your Keys to Driving in Queensland which has information on Queensland road rules, driver licensing requirements and sample test questions.

The class RE or R (motorcycle) knowledge test also includes questions based on information from the Motorcycle Riders’ Guide.

You can also take an online practice test. There are different tests for different licence classes.

Class C (car) PrepL and written road rules test

Both PrepL and the written road rules test have 30 multiple choice questions that must be completed. You need to get 90% (27 out of 30) correct to pass PrepL.

The written road rules test is broken down into 2 sections. To pass you must correctly answer at least:

  • 9 out of 10 questions about giving way
  • 18 out of 20 questions about road rules and driver licence requirements.

Class RE or R (motorcycle) knowledge test

You need to answer at least 27 out of 30 multiple choice questions correctly on topics ranging from road rules to risk management and hazard perception.

You don’t need to take this test if you already have a Queensland class RE licence and are upgrading to a class R licence.

Class LR, MR, HR, HC or MC (heavy vehicle) road rules knowledge test

You must answer at least 8 out of 10 multiple choice questions correctly on the road rules for heavy vehicles. You don’t need to take this test if you already have an Australian heavy vehicle licence.

Taking a written test

In person at a driver licence issuing centre you can take all written road rules (knowledge) tests at a transport and motoring customer service centre. To take a test you must bring:

You no longer have to complete a driver licence application form when visiting a Department of Transport and Main Roads Customer Service Centre.

You will still need to complete a driver licence application form (F3000) at police stations and most QGAP offices.

You can take the test once a day, but you must pay the fee for each attempt. If you pass the test, your results are valid for 5 years.

Online—class RE(motorcycle) knowledge test

The motorcycle knowledge test is also available online. You can take this test online if you:

  • hold a valid provisional, probationary or open Queensland licence and
  • have held a licence of another class (car or heavy vehicle) for at least 1 year in the past 5 years
  • have already completed the Q-Ride pre-learner course or been granted an exemption from it.

You can only take the test once a day, however, a fee is only required when you pass the test.

If you are applying as a returning driver, you will need to complete the motorcycle knowledge test in person at a driver licence issuing centre.

When you pass the test, you will be given options to pay the test fee. You can pay this fee online using a debit or credit card (MasterCard or Visa). Payments made by credit card will incur a credit card surcharge.

If you pass and pay for the test online you may be able to have the class RE learner automatically added to your licence and a new licence sent to you. The class RE learner cannot be automatically added if:

  • you have a laminate licence
  • your licence is expired or will expire within 6 weeks from the date you pay your test fee
  • you have not had a digital photo and digitised signature taken in the last 9 years.

If you want to pay cash, you will need to do this at a transport and motoring customer service centre that has licensing services. You must pay for your motorcycle knowledge test and have the class RE learner added to your licence before you can start learning to ride a motorcycle.