Skip links and keyboard navigation

P1 provisional licence

There are 2 types of provisional licences—P1 and P2. The P1 licence is your first provisional licence, before you move onto P2.

Applying for a P1 licence

If you are under 25 years of age, you will need to book and pass your practical driving test to get your P1 licence.

You cannot take a practical driving test until are at least 17 years of age and have met the logbook requirements.

Driving with a P1 licence

Once you have your P1 licence, you can drive unsupervised.

When driving you must:

You must not:

  • use a mobile phone (even using hands-free or Bluetooth accessories) unless you are legally and safely parked. Your passengers can’t use the loudspeaker function on their mobile phones
  • drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle
  • drive with more than 1 passenger under 21 who is not an immediate family member (unrelated by blood, marriage, or a guardian relationship) between 11pm and 5am
  • drive under the influence of illegal or prescription drugs
  • accumulate 4 or more demerit points in any 1 year period or you will have to choose between a suspension and a good driving behaviour period
  • supervise a learner driver.

You need to hold your P1 licence for at least 1 year to be eligible to upgrade your licence to a P2 or open licence.

Driving with your P1 licence

Download: FLV, 8.7MB | MP4, 7.1MB | WebM, 14.0MB


Book your practical driving test online

You can book and pay for the practical driving test online.

Make sure you have your licence number and a Visa credit card or MasterCard. Payments made by credit card incur a credit card surcharge.

You can also reschedule your test booking if you give more than 1 day’s notice.

Reporting medical conditions

You need to report medical conditions that affect your ability to drive, you can tell us online, in person or by post.

Last updated
29 September 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.