Pre-plan your funeral
Some funeral service businesses offer to sell you:
- a pre-payment plan for a funeral, burial or cremation
- an insurance-type arrangement that covers the cost of a funeral, burial or cremation (known as a funeral benefit agreement).
Client care statement
A funeral service provider must complete a client care statement when you:
- pre-pay a funeral
- take out a funeral benefit agreement.
They will need to give you a copy before you sign a contract with them.
- write the statement in plain English
- state their rights and responsibilities
- explain your rights and responsibilities.
The statement should clearly outline:
- the services they provide
- fees and charges you will pay
- the cooling-off period of 30 days.
Serious fines apply if a provider doesn’t:
- give you the signed statement
- explain what the statement means
- retrieve the signed statement when required.
You automatically get a cooling-off period of 30 days.
If you cancel in the cooling-off period, the provider must give you a refund. They may keep a $50 cancellation fee, but they must return the balance. They must do this within 7 days of receiving your notice.
Serious fines will apply if they don't give you the cooling-off period.