Skip links and keyboard navigation

Infringement notices

An infringement notice is a ticket issued on the spot, or sent by email or post, for offences such as speeding, parking illegally or toll evasion.

The infringement notice contains information about the alleged offence and fine amount.

When issued with an infringement notice, you will have 28 days to:

  • pay the whole fine according to the instructions on the notice
  • enter into a voluntary instalment plan with the agency that issued the notice if your fine is at least $200.

If you disagree

If you have a valid reason to object to the fine, you can:

  • dispute it with the agency that issued the notice
  • ask to have the offence heard by a court.

You should carefully consider whether you have valid grounds to overturn the infringement. If you are unsuccessful in court and the infringement is upheld, you will be liable for extra costs.

If you don't act

If you do not act by the due date on your infringement notice:

  • the agency that issued the notice can refer it to the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER), and we will issue an enforcement order. The order includes a registration fee of $67.45 and a new due date
  • you may be prosecuted in a magistrates court.

If you do not act by the due date on the enforcement order, we will take one or more enforcement actions against you.

Deal with your notice before it goes to SPER

Learn how to pay your vehicle-related fine before it is registered with us.

Find out how to transfer your vehicle-related fine to another person or dispute it before it is registered with us.

Got a parking fine? Contact your local government office or the authority that issued the fine to find out how to pay before it is registered with us.

Have you received a call from SPER?

stop debt escalating

If you have an outstanding SPER debt, you might receive a call from us.

Last updated
22 May 2018
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.