Pay your SPER debt by instalments

If you can't afford to pay your debt with the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) immediately, you may be able to pay by regular instalments.

We can automatically deduct your instalment plan payments from your bank account, debit/credit card or eligible Centrelink payment.

You can also pay in person at Australia Post or at any Queensland magistrates court or Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office.

Apply for an instalment plan by:

If we identify any other unpaid fines or orders in your name, these will also be included in your instalment plan to avoid enforcement action being taken against you.

This instalment plan is set up directly with SPER. It is different to a voluntary instalment plan, which is set up with the agency that issued the fine.

Contact us


Send an email using our online enquiry form.


Phone us on 1300 365 635 (or +61 7 3328 4811 from overseas), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, excluding public holidays.

Before we give you any information about your debt, you will be asked to confirm your identity.


The Registrar
GPO Box 1387

In person

Payments, enquiries and applications can be made at your nearest magistrates court or QGAP office.

How much and when to pay

We will determine the instalment amount and frequency of payments based on how much you owe, and factors such as your income and expenses.

You should understand all your obligations under our payment terms and conditions to avoid enforcement action and additional fees.

Centrelink payments

You may be able to make fortnightly payments through our Centrepay option.

Call us to find out if you’re eligible. You’ll need your Centrelink customer reference number and type of benefit to apply.

Late payments

If you are having trouble paying your instalments, phone us at least one day before your payment is due to discuss your options.

If you don't pay your instalment plan, we will cancel it and start enforcement action.

Voluntary instalment plans for unpaid fines

If you have been given an infringement notice that you can't pay straight away, you can enter into a voluntary instalment plan with the agency that issued the fine (e.g. the Department of Transport and Main Roads) before the fine is referred to us.

You can enter into a voluntary instalment plan if:

  • your fine is at least $200
  • the due date of the fine has not passed.

To set up a voluntary instalment plan, you can:

  • contact the agency that issued the infringement notice
  • complete and sign that section on your infringement notice, and post to the agency. You will need to include an initial payment of $60.

Once the initial payment has been received, the issuing agency will register the outstanding debt with us and we will manage it.

We will send you a voluntary instalment payment notice and a repayment schedule to follow until the fine has been repaid.

If you do not follow the repayment schedule, we will cancel your voluntary instalment plan and you will need to pay in full.

Paying voluntary instalments

Once the voluntary instalment plan is set up, and the agency registers the plan with us, we will manage the payments.

You can set up automatic payments from your credit card or bank account, or use another payment option.

Instalment fees

If you enter into a voluntary instalment plan with the issuing agency before an enforcement order is issued, a registration fee will not apply to that debt.

However, if you miss a payment we will send an enforcement order that includes the registration fee.

Including other debts registered with SPER

If you have a new debt registered with us, you can contact us to include it in an existing instalment plan.