Information for harvesters
All harvesters must have a macropod harvesting licence and Queensland macropod tags before they begin harvesting.
- apply for harvest tags
- complete a return of operations
- sell to licensed dealers or processors who then sell meat and skins within Australia and overseas
- adhere to the National Code of Practice for the Humane Shooting of Kangaroos and Wallabies for Commercial Purposes.
If you wish to request a tag allowance increase, you need to complete the tag allowance increase application .
Find more information on the process for applying for tags .
Each macropod that is harvested in Queensland for commercial purposes must be tagged.
Queensland macropod tags must be attached in a way that complies with this notice .
Tags are colour specific for each species and show the following information:
- species (eastern grey kangaroo, red kangaroo or common wallaroo)
- zone (eastern, central or western)
- harvest period
- sequential number and barcode.
A correct tag must be attached to each animal harvested.
Return of operations
Application—Return Books and Movement Advices
A return of operations book is used to record the particular details of the macropods harvested during a harvest period.
Harvesters are able to record the particulars of all harvested animals online using the Return Book Entry action. Return book entries must be submitted 14 days following the end of each calendar month.
Harvesters must complete their return of operations on Macropods Online or submit to the Department of Environment and Science within 14 days of the end of the month.
For more information on Macropods Online please contact the Macropod Management Unit:
Phone: 07 4530 1254