Replace lost or destroyed documents

Document replacement services may be free to people who live in a declared disaster area.

Birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) will provide free replacement life event certificates to those people who have had their certificates lost, damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster area.

If you have been affected by a declared disaster and require assistance to replace your certificates, email or phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.

If you are looking to replace a certificate lost or damaged in other circumstances, you can apply for a:

Medicare card

You can ask for a replacement card by:

  • phoning 132 011
  • visiting a Medicare Service Centre
  • sending your new address to the Department of Human Services, GPO Box 9822 in your capital city (a form is not required) together with a signed written request that includes your Medicare card number
  • using the Medicare online accounts.

Driver licence

If your licence has been damaged or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement licence:

Tenancy agreement

Tenancy agreements continue even if the document has been destroyed or damaged. However, you can document the agreement by re-completing the tenancy agreement form on the same terms and conditions. Find out more about renting after a natural disaster.

Property title

Most owners don’t have a paper certificate of title for their property. However, if you did have one and it has been lost or destroyed, you will need to apply to dispense with the production of the title before you can transfer the property or lodge any other dealing. Phone 1300 255 750 or 13 74 68 for more information.

Taxation documents

For help with your tax affairs, contact the Australian Taxation Office. They may be able to help by fast tracking refunds, reconstructing tax records and giving extra time to pay debts or meet lodgement obligations. Phone 13 28 61.


If your passport has been lost or damaged due to a natural disaster, phone the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232.

Immigration visa

If you hold an immigration visa that is about to expire, work for a business that has been affected or are otherwise concerned about your immigration status, phone the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on 131 881. If you are overseas, locate an office near you. You can also contact them if you are a sponsor and are concerned about the possible impacts on your overseas workers.

Outstanding fines

If a natural disaster has affected your finances, making it harder for you to pay a fine, the State Penalties Enforcement Registry may give you more time to pay. Phone 1300 365 635 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) or submit an online enquiry to discuss your options.

Family law documents

If your family law documents have been destroyed as a result of a natural disaster there will be no charge for obtaining replacements. You can:

Occupational licensing and organisation registration

Fair Trading regulates a number of industries and not-for-profit groups through registration and licensing. In the event of a natural disaster, they may replace licences and certificates free of charge that have been lost or destroyed. They may also grant application extensions and waive late fees. Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit a service centre to find out more.