Replacing lost or destroyed documents

Document replacement services may be free to people who live in a declared disaster area.

Birth, marriage, civil partnership and change of name certificates

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) will provide free replacement life event certificates to those people who have had their certificates lost, damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster area.

If your certificates have been lost, damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster area, you can apply to have them replaced if you:

  • live in the affected area and have been impacted
  • have had the certificate before.

Fill in a request to replace certificates following a disaster.

If you are looking to replace a certificate lost or damaged in other circumstances, you can apply for a:

Medicare card

You can ask for a replacement card by:

Your new card will replace your old card. You'll have the same Medicare number as you did before, but your old card will no longer be valid. Your new card will be sent within 3 to 4 weeks to the address you provided.

You can use a digital copy of your Medicare card in the meantime. Find out how to get a digital card.

Driver licence

If your licence has been damaged or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement licence:

Tenancy agreement

Tenancy agreements continue even if the document has been destroyed or damaged. However, you can document the agreement by re-completing the tenancy agreement form on the same terms and conditions. Find out more about renting after a natural disaster.

Property title

Most owners don’t have a paper certificate of title for their property. However, if you did have one and it has been lost or destroyed, you will need to apply to dispense with the production of the title before you can transfer the property or lodge any other dealing. Phone Titles Queensland on 1300 255 750 or 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information.

Taxation documents

For help with your tax affairs, contact the Australian Taxation Office. They may be able to help by fast tracking refunds, reconstructing tax records and giving extra time to pay debts or meet lodgement obligations. Phone 13 28 61.


If your passport has been lost or damaged due to a natural disaster, phone the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232.

Immigration visa

If you hold an immigration visa that is about to expire, work for a business that has been affected or are otherwise concerned about your immigration status, phone the Department of Home Affairs on 131 881. If you are overseas, locate an office near you. You can also contact them if you are a sponsor and are concerned about the possible impacts on your overseas workers.

Outstanding fines

If a natural disaster has affected your finances, making it harder for you to pay a fine, the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) may give you more time to pay.

Phone 1300 365 635 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) or submit an online enquiry to discuss your options.

Family law documents

If your family law documents have been destroyed as a result of a natural disaster there will be no charge for obtaining replacements. You can:

Occupational licensing and organisation registration

Fair Trading regulates a number of industries and not-for-profit groups through registration and licensing. In the event of a natural disaster, they may replace licences and certificates free of charge that have been lost or destroyed. They may also grant application extensions and waive late fees.

Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit a service centre to find out more.

More information