Structural assistance grant

If you’re uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for a one-off payment as a contribution towards repairs to your home to make it secure and safe.

Grants of up to $10,995 for single adults and up to $14,685 for couples/families are available.


To be eligible you must meet all these criteria:

  • live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
  • own or be the mortgagee of the home, caravan or boat
  • been living in the home, caravan or boat at the time of the disaster (it was your primary place of residence)
  • be uninsured or unable to claim insurance for the structural repairs
  • meet the income test (below).

The grant is not available for repairs to investment properties, such as holiday houses or rental properties, or assets such as caravans and boats that are not used as primary places of residence or for pre-existing damage prior to the event.

Income test (how much you earn)

Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:

  • individual: $988 ($51,398 per year)
  • couple: $1,367 ($71,061 per year)
  • sole parent, one child: $1,368 ($71,110 per year)
  • couple, one child: $1,694 ($88,111 per year).

(For each additional child add a further $327 per week; for each dependent adult add $378 per week).

How to apply

Apply online via the Community Recovery Portal or by phoning the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 where a customer service officer will assist you to complete an online application.

When your application is completed and it is determined that you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone to arrange a visit.

Then you will need to:

  1. Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
  2. Complete and sign the Structural Assistance Grant Form.
  3. Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm the property is your principal place of residence.
  4. Meet the income test requirements.

Assessment process

If you’re eligible for a Structural Assistance Grant we will inspect your property to identify what is needed to make your home safe and habitable. This may also include an assessment of the essential services safety checks for reconnection of electricity, gas, water, sewerage services and septic systems.

This information, including estimated costs, is sent to the Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors for review. Once the scope of works is approved you may be asked to sign a statutory declaration prior to any funds being paid.

The grant will then be paid into the bank account nominated on your application form. A cheque can be issued where necessary. Once you receive the grant payment, you have 12 months to complete the repairs to your dwelling.

We’ll contact you regularly to see how your home repairs are progressing and if you need any more support.

If you need help to get quotes or contract repairers phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349. We can provide a referral to the Queensland Building Services Authority.

Other assistance

You may be able to apply for other grants if your repair bills cost more than the amount of this grant.

If you can’t source the full amount of funds required to repair your home, you may be able to access financial counselling to help with budgeting and prioritising expenditure.