Skip links and keyboard navigation

Structural Assistance Grant

If you’re uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for a one-off payment as a contribution towards repairs to your home to make it secure and safe.

Grants of up to $10,995 for single adults and up to $14,685 for couples/families are available.


To be eligible you must meet all these criteria:

  • live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
  • own or be the mortgagee of the home, caravan or boat
  • been living in the home, caravan or boat at the time of the disaster (it was your primary place of residence)
  • be uninsured or unable to claim insurance for the structural repairs
  • meet the income test (below).

The grant is not available for repairs to investment properties, such as holiday houses or rental properties, or assets such as caravans and boats that are not used as primary places of residence or for pre-existing damage prior to the event.

Income test (how much you earn)

Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:

  • individual: $909 ($47,289 per year)
  • couple: $1,257 ($65,378 per year)
  • sole parent, one child: $1,258 ($65,423 per year)
  • couple, one child $1,559 ($81,063 per year)

(For each additional child add a further $302 per week; for each dependent adult add $348 per week).

Apply for the grant

To apply for assistance, phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.

An initial assessment will be conducted at this time. When this assessment is completed and determined you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone and arrange an appointment with you.

Then you will need to:

  1. Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
  2. Complete and sign the Structural Assistance Grant Form.
  3. Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm you own the dwelling and it is your principal place of residence.
  4. Meet the income test requirements.

Assessment process

If you’re eligible for a Structural Assistance Grant we will inspect your property to identify what is needed to make your home safe and habitable. This may also include an assessment of the essential services safety checks for reconnection of electricity, gas, water, sewerage services and septic systems.

This information, including estimated costs, is sent tothe Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services for review. Once the scope of works is approved you may be asked to sign a statutory declaration prior to any funds being paid.

The grant will then be paid into the bank account nominated on your application form. A cheque can be issued where necessary. Once you receive the grant payment, you have 12 months to complete the repairs to your dwelling.

We’ll contact you regularly to see how your home repairs are progressing and if you need any more support.

If you need help to get quotes or contract repairers phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349. We can provide a referral to the Queensland Building Services Authority.

Other assistance

You may be able to apply for other grants if your repair bills cost more than the amount of this grant.

If you can’t source the full amount of funds required to repair your home, you may be able to access financial counselling to help with budgeting and prioritising expenditure.


For assistance with a life threatening situation call 000 immediately.

For assistance call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.

For assistance with non-life threatening situations such as help with a damaged roof, rising flood water, or storm damage call the SES on 132 500.

Follow our @RecoveryQld Twitter account for information on being prepared for a storm and cyclone season, and community recovery updates when a disaster or emergency strikes.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
8 December 2015

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *