Skip links and keyboard navigation

Replace lost or destroyed documents

Document replacement services may be free to people who live in a declared disaster area.

Birth, death, marriage and change of name certificates

You can request replacement certificates for the following from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

You can also:

  • phone the registry on 1300 366 430 (8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday)
  • email
  • visit the head office at 110 George Street, Brisbane Qld 4000.

Medicare card

You can ask for a replacement card by:

  • calling 132 011
  • visiting a Medicare Service Centre
  • sending your new address to the Department of Human Services, GPO Box 9822 in your capital city (a form is not required) together with a signed written request that includes your Medicare card number
  • using the Medicare online accounts.

Driver licence

If your licence has been damaged or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement licence:

Tenancy agreement

Tenancy agreements continue even if the document has been destroyed or damaged. However, you can document the agreement by re-completing the tenancy agreement form on the same terms and conditions. Find out more about renting after a natural disaster.

Property title

Most owners don’t have a paper certificate of title for their property. However, if you did have one and it has been lost or destroyed, you will need to apply to dispense with the production of the title before you can transfer the property or lodge any other dealing. Call 1300 255 750 or 13 74 68 for more information.

Taxation documents

For help with your tax affairs, contact the Australian Taxation Office. They may be able to help by fast tracking refunds, reconstructing tax records and giving extra time to pay debts or meet lodgement obligations. Phone 13 28 61.


To report a damaged or lost passport and organise a replacement, phone the Australian Passport Information Service on 13 12 32.

Immigration visa

If you hold an immigration visa that is about to expire, work for a business that has been affected or are otherwise concerned about your immigration status, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on 131 881. If you are overseas, locate an office near you. You can also contact them if you are a sponsor and are concerned about the possible impacts on your overseas workers.

Outstanding fines

If a natural disaster has affected your finances, making it harder for you to pay a fine, the State Penalties Enforcement Registry may give you more time to pay. Phone 1300 365 635 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) or submit an online enquiry to discuss your options.

Family law documents

There is no charge to replace family court orders, divorce orders and other documents held by the Family Law Courts that have been lost or damaged by natural disaster. Complete a request form and post it to your nearest Family Law Court Registry or phone 1300 352 000.

Occupational licensing and organisation registration

Fair Trading regulates a number of industries and not-for-profit groups through registration and licensing. In the event of a natural disaster, they may replace licences and certificates free of charge that have been lost or destroyed. They may also grant application extensions and waive late fees. Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or visit a service centre to find out more.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
31 March 2015

Page feedback

Your privacy

Information collected through this form is used to improve this website.

Any information you submit that could identify you (e.g. name, email address) will be stored securely, and destroyed after we process your feedback.

  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response.

  3. Contact (optional)