Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant
If you’re uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for a grant to help you reconnect essential services that were damaged by a disaster.
There are 2 parts to the grant:
- Inspection: up to $200 towards a safety inspection for each essential service needing reconnection (electricity, gas, water and sewerage or septic system)
- Repair: up to $4200 towards repair work to enable essential services to be reconnected (for example, electrical rewiring).
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
- be the owner or mortgagee of the home
- be uninsured or unable to claim insurance to replace or repair your household contents
- qualify under the income test (below).
Income test (how much you earn)
Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:
- individual: $909 ($47,289 per year)
- couple: $1,257 ($65,378 per year)
- sole parent, one child: $1,258 ($65,423 per year)
- couple, one child $1,559 ($81,063 per year)
(For each additional child add a further $302 per week; for each dependent adult add $348 per week).
How to apply
To apply for assistance, phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.
An initial assessment will be conducted at this time. When this assessment is completed and determined you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone and arrange an appointment with you.
Then you will need to:
- Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
- Complete and sign the Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant Form.
- Provide a rates notice and driver licence or electricity bill to confirm you own the dwelling and it is your principal place of residence.
Payments of this grant are divided into two parts (inspection costs and repair costs) and will be made by either cheque or bank deposit direct to you or to the repairer.
Payments can only be made after invoices, receipts, quotes or an inspection report have been provided.