Essential Household Contents Grant
If you are uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for financial assistance to provide a contribution towards replacing or repairing essential household contents, such as beds, linen and whitegoods, that have been lost or damaged in a disaster.
Grants of up to $1765 for single adults and up to $5300 for couples/families are available.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
- be uninsured or unable to claim insurance to replace or repair your household contents
- qualify under the income test (below).
You can be a tenant or an owner-occupier.
Income test (how much you earn)
Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:
- individual: $909 ($47,289 per year)
- couple: $1,257 ($65,378 per year)
- sole parent, one child: $1,258 ($65,423 per year)
- couple, one child $1,559 ($81,063 per year)
(For each additional child add a further $302 per week; for each dependent adult add $348 per week).
How to apply
To apply for assistance, phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.
An initial assessment will be conducted at this time. When this assessment is completed and determined you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone and arrange an appointment with you.
Then you will need to:
- Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
- Complete and sign the Essential Household Contents Grant Form.
- Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm the property is your principal place of residence.
- Meet the income test requirements.
In most cases, a Queensland Government officer will visit your home to assess your application.
If your application is successful your grant will be paid by one of the following methods:
- electronic funds transfer (EFT)
You will not be able to choose the payment method.