Essential household contents grant
If you are uninsured, or unable to claim insurance, you may be eligible for financial assistance to provide a contribution towards replacing or repairing essential household contents, such as beds, linen and whitegoods, that have been lost or damaged in a disaster.
Grants of up to $1765 for single adults and up to $5300 for couples/families are available.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- live in a disaster affected area where this grant is activated
- be uninsured or unable to claim insurance to replace or repair your household contents
- qualify under the income test (below).
You can be a tenant or an owner-occupier.
Income test (how much you earn)
Your gross (before tax) weekly income must be less than:
- individual: $921 ($47,904 per year)
- couple: $1,273 ($66,228 per year)
- sole parent, one child: $1,275 ($66,274 per year)
- couple, one child $1,579 ($82,117 per year)
(For each additional child add a further $306 per week; for each dependent adult add $352 per week).
How to apply
An application can be made by completing the online application form or by phoning the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 where a customer service officer will assist you to complete an online application.
When your application is completed and it is determined that you live in a disaster affected area, your application will be referred to your local Community Recovery Coordination Centre who will contact you by telephone to arrange a visit.
Then you will need to:
- Complete and sign the Applicant Information Form.
- Complete and sign the Essential Household Contents Grant Form.
- Provide a driver licence, rates notice or electricity bill to confirm the property is your principal place of residence.
- Meet the income test requirements.
If your application is successful your grant will be paid by one of the following methods:
- electronic funds transfer (EFT)
You will not be able to choose the payment method.