Skip links and keyboard navigation

Getting a learner motorcycle licence (RE)

If you want to learn to ride a motorcycle, you must apply for an RE learner licence.

To get your RE learner licence, you need to:

  • hold a provisional or open car licence and have held the licence for at least 1 year. This makes sure you have on-road driving experience before you learn to ride.
  • successfully complete the Q-Ride pre-learner course
    Note: If you live outside a 100km radius of a Q-Ride training area, you may choose to apply for an exemption from completing the course, however if you are exempt from the course you will need to hold your RE learner licence for longer.
  • pass a motorcycle knowledge test
  • be medically fit to ride.

Motorcycle knowledge test

You will only be able to take the motorcycle knowledge test online if you have already completed the Q-Ride pre-learner course or been granted an exemption from it.

You can practice the motorcycle knowledge test online.

Once you pass and pay for your knowledge test, your driver licence will have the RE learner licence added to it and a new driver licence will be sent to you.

You can now start learning to ride a motorcycle.

Last updated
27 October 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.