Getting an R motorcycle licence
A class R motorcycle is a 2 or 3 wheel motorcycle with unlimited engine size.
To learn to ride an R motorcycle or to upgrade from an RE provisional or open licence to an R licence you must:
- have held an RE provisional or open licence for at least 2 years
- successfully complete the Q-Ride unrestricted (R) course or pass a Q-SAFE riding test
- apply for your class R provisional or open licence.
If your Q-Ride training provider notifies your Q-Ride competency declaration to the Department of Transport and Main Roads electronically you may be eligible to upgrade your licence online.
If you are issued a paper Q-Ride competency declaration or you are not eligible to upgrade your licence online, you must apply for your class R licence at a driver licence issuing transport and motoring customer service centre.
Q-Ride or Q-SAFE
If you live:
- within a 100km radius of a Q-Ride training centre, you must complete the Q-Ride unrestricted (R) course
- outside a 100km radius of a Q-Ride training centre, you can choose to either complete the Q-Ride unrestricted (R) course or take the Q-SAFE riding test.
Find your nearest Q-Ride training provider.