Maintain your vehicle
A simple maintenance routine can extend the trouble-free life of your car.
Regular safety checks
You should perform regular checks on your car.
Make sure you check:
- all exterior lights
- glass surfaces are clean and free from chips, cracks and scratches
- windscreen wipers and washers
- the horn works
- the handbrake holds the car still on steep hills
- seat belts are in good condition
- the condition and pressure of the tyres
- gauges and warning lights
- fluid and oil levels for the engine, automatic transmission, radiator, power steering, brake, clutch, battery and windscreen washers.
RACQ has tips on car maintenance, design and safety issues.
A regular service on your car helps:
- to keep long-term repair costs down
- the repairer to find minor problems and fix them before they become worse.
You should follow the manufacturer’s service schedule to maintain your car.
A car that has been well looked after will have a higher resale or trade-in value.